Author Topic: Avast! not functioning properly  (Read 10244 times)

Spectacle

Re: Avast! not functioning properly
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
I'm not a skilled computer whiz, more a dummy, but I noticed:

"I am also running PC Tools firewall plus (windows Firewall turned off) and both Avast and Windows Defender are turned on and up to date (as reported by windows)"

On my computer Windows Defender contains an Anti-virus program so I cannot use it because it can conflict with Avast! AV. Could part of the problem be a conflict because of running 2 anti-virus prgrams simultaneously?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:06:03 PM by Spectacle »

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
@ Spectacle

Windows Defender runs fine on my Windows 7 system. 

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 09:04:12 AM »
@ Nicla,
* On your rescans of both Avast and MBAM, did both come up clean this time around?

* Is Avast working properly now that the malware is quarantined?
Awaiting your response.  Thank you.

nicla

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 04:39:18 AM »
Apologies for the silence but things happen.  My original issue remains:

I am still having a problem opening the Avast Simple Interface.  Well it seems to open but it immediately goes to the task bar and I am unable to maximise it AT ALL.  When the mouse hovers over the tab in the task bar the little window pops up but nothing happens after I click on it.  I am only encountering this problem with Avast! -- all other tabs maximise normally.

I am running PC Tools firewall plus (windows Firewall turned off) and both Avast and Windows Defender are turned on and up to date (as reported by windows)

Could someone please advise me how I can get the Avast Simple User Interface accessible.

Here is an image which illustrates the problem

YESTERDAY'S report from MBAM:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4521

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18943

2/09/2010 1:27:46 AM
mbam-log-2010-09-02 (01-27-46).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 372376
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 15 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Here are the files within MBAM quarantine chest

Many thanks

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »
nicla,

Keep the items in MBAM quarantined there; do NOT delete them.

1. Do you have a 32 or 64-bit machine?  What happens if you right click on the Avast tool bar?  Can you open the GUI this way?  If you have a 32-bit, try to update Avast definitions and run a Boot-time scan.

2. Are you getting prompts (the green pop-ups) for getting the Avast updates?

3. What other security software do you have currently or did you have in the past on this machine?  If you had in the past, how did you remove it (vendor's uninstaller tool or another way)?

FYI -- Free PC Tools FW I believe has recently been discontinued.  I might suggest a different FW...either Online Armor, Comodo (without the AV), or Outpost seem to work well with Avast.  Make sure you remove PC Tools FW in Safe Mode and check for remnants!  Before you go making changes to your FW, reply to this post as I may need to give you additional diagnostic tools for malware removal.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
@ nicla

Looks like you are using avast! V4.8 on either Vista or Windows 7.

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature and SafeSurf so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

nicla

Re: Avast! not functioning properly..resolved
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
Thank you everyone for your attempts to resolve my issues.  The steps to resolution just didn't fit in with my busy life so in the end I uninstalled V4.8 and then downloaded V5.  Everything opens and works as it should now.  My, the new version looks much more impressive.

Saty

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
(off topic)

SafeSurf, just some info, PC tools firewall plus 6 has not been discontinued, Its back up and availble for download on the PC tools website. And as far as I know the new version 7 is in its latest beta stage and due to be out soon.

Saty

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 02:13:59 AM »
@ nicla,

Is your machine working fine now?  I suggest the following:

1. Update MBAM again and do another scan.  If anything comes up, quarantine it and report back.
2. Keep your Avast definitions up to date.  Run an Avast full scan.  If anything pops up put it in the Virus Chest and report back.
3. If you have a 32-bit, run an Avast Boot-time scan.  Report back if anything pops up.
4. Download free Secunia Software Inspector http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ to scan your machine to see if your software is up to date to avoid security holes.  Many of us use this weekly with the ever changing software.
5. Make sure you keep your MS Updates current.
6. Use safe browsing practices and layer your lines of defense in your browser (see my Signature as an example).

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

[Off-Topic]

@ Saty, I am aware of the PCT FW issues; the post you saw on this thread is over a month old.  There are several threads currently in the "General Topics" section of this forum for which I have contributed, and someone was able to hack into this FW on my test machine...therefore I do not recommend it, but everyone has the right to make their own decision.