Author Topic: Avast 5.0594 Slow Startup  (Read 25256 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast 5.0594 Slow Startup
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »
@ Giraffe,

Your signature indicates that you are using Avast 4.8, yet the latest build is 5.0.594.  What version are you using?

Besides Comodo FW, what other programs are loading on start up?  Are any of them essential?  Can you delete or delay the non-essential ones to speed up your start up?   

I would also suggest cleaning your cache, temp. internet files, etc. with something like CCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ - it is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.   Many of us use it here.

As you read in Vlk's thread, the shields of Avast do start up in sequence, and the next release will improve the speed of this, but please take a look at your start up programs.  Question:  Did this longer delay occur after installing Comodo?

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »
SafeSurf,
Thanks - Profile amended!

System is cleaned out daily, but not much internet stuff as I use Opera and that's often closed on 'Clear and Exit'.
Most of the programmes that i have starting are small utilities; Comodo is the only other big one. I've tried disabling everything from starting and then ran tests with one at once. Only Avast made a large difference; Comodo only a few seconds (and that's essential to load).

Good news re. the next release.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

silviucc

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
Just something that popped up in my mind, do you use any system utility that has the ability to clear "Prefetch Data" like CCleaner ? If you have such an option enabled, you should disable it and see if that improves your startup times.

PS: Please note that CCleaner does not enable that option by default, but it is worth checking. Also, it might be a good idea to check if not using CCleaner for a while and see if that improves things (maybe a bug in the utility)

PPS:Yes I'm aware of Vlk's explanation on this matter, just trying to make sure that this little bit does not make things worse.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »
Just something that popped up in my mind, do you use any system utility that has the ability to clear "Prefetch Data" like CCleaner ? If you have such an option enabled, you should disable it and see if that improves your startup times.

Why do you think about prefetch..??
And whom do you want to adress in this thread..? (many different posters..!)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

silviucc

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
@Asyn, because CCleaner was mentioned here and it does have the option to clear that data. I was trying to address Giraffe's problem. In fact I'm going to do a bit of experimenting myself as I do use CCleaner, but my system usually sleeps overnight so I rarely observe the boot process.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
@Asyn, because CCleaner was mentioned here and it does have the option to clear that data. I was trying to address Giraffe's problem. In fact I'm going to do a bit of experimenting myself as I do use CCleaner, but my system usually sleeps overnight so I rarely observe the boot process.

I see. ;)
Thanks for your feedback..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »
@ Silviu C.,

I use ccleaner with prefetch and it does not delay my start up time with Avast.  I've been using it both software, since ccleaner first came out, and Avast on 4.0 then 5.0.  But feel free to experiment on your machine.

silviucc

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »
Well, according to Soluto... there's a difference. The last two reboots were part of the experiment.

I will reffrain to use CCleaner for about a week and see what happens in that timeframe. I will also not install/uninstall that might add something that runs during startup.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:21:47 AM by Silviu C. »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
I don't use CCleaner - found that it borked one or two things.

Occasionally Prefetch will be cleaned out: everything deleted manually and a basic Layout.ini file copied to the folder, but that's usually after months rather than days.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

silviucc

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
Yes, Windows will purge prefetch data by itself once in a while and keep the 32 most used entries. No need to "help" it. I was merely asking people that have this type of problem and use CCleaner to experiment. Software does sometimes interact in weird ways.

SafeSurf

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »
Software does sometimes interact in weird ways.
It certainly does.  That's why we ask people about their security software all the time (current and past) as this often causes problems with remnants left behind with incomplete or improper removal.  Thank you for your input.  ;)

darth

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »
Recomend "SIW" in your case for the most info about your OS. From a-z info.

View http://www.gtopala.com/

SafeSurf

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 03:17:23 AM »
@ darth,

Now that you have over 20 posts, please go to the top of the page to the PROFILE tab to enter your Signature > Forum Profile Information (keep your email "hidden" unless you want others to know) > click Save.   Your Signature or information about your machine, security software, OS, etc. will be posted with each post making it easier to help you, and you to help others.  Thank you.  ;)

cek333

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 01:50:49 AM »
Just a note for those using WinXP Home ... I was able to speed up my boot using Bootvis, a tool originally written by Microsoft but which has since been abandoned by Microsoft and is now available from sites like softpedia.com. From the 'Trace' menu I selected the 'Optimize System' option. After it did it's magic my boots were back to normal. Bootvis also has a profiler tool and if I'm reading it correctly, the slow down seemed to be caused by Disk I/O rather than any particular application.
Cecil.