Author Topic: how avast blocks threats  (Read 11636 times)

Tweakerz

Re: how avast blocks threats
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 03:14:39 AM »
I try to make a point of that to those I install it for as well. If you ever load McAfee Site Advisor and WOT on the same pc you can see a big difference in what each reports for some sites which only proves that no one program is always going to be correct.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 03:45:41 AM »
McAfee's site advisor is terrible as much of its database is so old as to be worthless. When you are talking about site security, etc. anything older than a month is ancient, a week old and a day reasonably current. Some of their entries are 6 months old.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RandyN

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 06:03:36 AM »
so if im using chrome or opera i wouldnt be as safe?
A conclusion can be reached only when some official response from the avast! team can clear this up. But since I have seen this thing in action, with both avast! (all shields on) and Symantec EndPoint Protection, I have been sticking with IE and FF only.
avast! did alert in case of Chrome, but it was after the page had fully rendered and manage to activate the Java Runtime Environment in my system. With IE and FF, the page was blocked completely.

So, am I less safe if I use a browser other than IE or FF with Avast (or any AV for that matter)? Very curious about the answer.

Tweakerz

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Site Advisor, Norton Safe Web, WOT, there are several choices. I personally use K9 Web Protection and Sunbelts ClearCloud DNS servers, between the two alone a HUGE majority of malicious sites never bother me, with anywhere from 100,000-1 Million sites analyzed by Sunbelt per day I'd say they are about as recent as one can get.  8)

Offline RandyN

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 06:22:40 AM »
Site Advisor, Norton Safe Web, WOT, there are several choices. I personally use K9 Web Protection and Sunbelts ClearCloud DNS servers, between the two alone a HUGE majority of malicious sites never bother me, with anywhere from 100,000-1 Million sites analyzed by Sunbelt per day I'd say they are about as recent as one can get.  8)

Tweakerz,

That's great but the thread is about "How Avast Blocks Threats":

So, am I less safe if I use a browser other than IE or FF with Avast (or any AV for that matter)? Very curious about the answer. (Please see two posts previous to this one).

ravi16aug

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:50 AM »
Going by my experience, and what I have read so far, yes, I would feel much safer with IE or FF. What good is a web-shield if the browser is not gonna respect aborted connections?

Check out - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59677.msg503112#msg503112
and -
(third post from the bottom, by Rob Koch)
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/157d2834-144e-4ced-ba36-9d85b7cf47f9
and -
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/8416f536-2974-4269-8720-b26e060df240
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:51:06 AM by Ravi Gupta »

Tweakerz

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
The point is Randy you can be equally protected by adding some free and low to 0 resource security by way of K9 and ClearCloud DNS as well as an additional browser intergrated offering such as Norton Safe Web, this combined with WOT makes you very safe, but it seems Avast primarily is going to protect IE and FF which is not to say the other browsers do not get protection, just that I think with IE and FF having the most users the program(s) (Avast in this case) are more geared towards them.

ravi16aug

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
@Tweakerz, what we need to understand is -
1. The system requirements of avast! have never mentioned any particular browser, and nor has there been any official word on it.
2. The misbehaving app here is the browser - chrome/opera/safari. The onus of proper respect of an AVs attempt to abort the connection lies with the browser. The API is available to be made use of in all versions of Windows since XP SP2.
The fact that nobody from avast! is clearing this up is surprising. We need someone official and qualified to tell us in plain english if there is a difference in the way different browsers interact with avast's web shield. If yes, then on whom does the responsibility of correcting it lies.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:05:57 PM by Ravi Gupta »

Tweakerz

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 01:55:46 AM »
I totally agree Ravi, I just feel it is very likely due to the typical support for IE and FF that these are more supported if you will, I too though hope to see an answer from Avast that can clear up the question.  :)