Author Topic: Blue Screen PC Crash  (Read 11884 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Blue Screen PC Crash
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
After you send you dump file to the link given to you, the Avast Team will analyze it and get back to you.

What other security software did you have on your machine in the past, or do you have currently that you have not already listed?

After you send the file, please check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware, which is the next step:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0.  You should follow the directions of obtaining an MBAM (make sure you update MBAM first) and OTL logs and you can post the MBAM log here (copy and past) and the OTL log as an attachment (Additional Options in the bottom left corner under the message screen when posting).  We can then analyze this in the meantime for any malware.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:59:36 AM by SafeSurf »

Tweakerz

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
@ Tweakerz,

You are incorrect in recommending Revo for uninstalling Avast as it does not completely uninstall all the registry and drivers of Avast.  AV and other security companies that have specific uninstaller tools do so for a reason and that is to remove remnants, and that is why Avast has the Uninstaller Removal Tool.

Incorrect...did you miss the fact the un-install utility was linked and mentioned in my message? If you for some reason have some issue using the normal method Revo is nice (best to use Revo Safe Mode option) to know what and where things are located, also take note that I said it uses the regular un-installer which means it does the same thing as Add/Remove (XP) or Programs (Vista/7), besides that knowing what is created and where is a nice option, you don't actually have to delete or alter anything, it is a nice way to know what is going on with you program...but mainly their is a link to the utility which you mention...so incorrect...nah, just didn't take the time to type this out as I often forget how much one person might know as opposed to another and assume people are already more capable than they are. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone to be clear, just some have worked with the pc longer than others and have a better understanding and realize what and how things work well enough to not have every step laid out, for that I apologize, otherwise the previous statement stands and is without error except that I should have said "Used properly or in a specific way" and then proceeded to layout more finely detailed information. Have a great day and sorry for the misunderstanding, I'll keep things in mind for the future as far as info such as this and use the proper details.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

gran101

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 06:32:43 PM »
I am sorry but this is all over my head and I cannot wrap my brain around it. I cannot see how to use the link to show you the mini dump file tho I did open the link provided with IE

I did uninstall Avast in control panel usinf F8 to go into safe mode, and I then used the uninstaller.. but the Control panel had removed Avast so the uninstaller could not find avast to uninstall it. I reinatalled Avast..

It still wiped and rebooted at a seconds notice so I did a system restore to an earlier date and if I still have trouble I will take it to the shop
 Thank you for your attention

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
I did a system restore to an earlier date and if I still have trouble I will take it to the shop.
This means that the uninstall/install you just did reverted back to a previous non-working state.

Did you get a chance to check for malware with MBAM (update first)?

The reason we are asking for a mini-dump file is to see if there is a problem with Avast.  In reading your post, I can see that all of this seems overwhelming to you. 

See if these instructions are a little easier...

When asked to create a memory dump (usually because of hanged avast! program), please follow these instructions:
   1. Open regedit (go to Start > Run > type in regedit), go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters and add a new DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll" (no quotation marks). Make its value 1 (one).
   2. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, and make sure the machine is set to generate COMPLETE memory dump (in the Write Debugging Information section).
   3. Reboot the machine.
   4. When the computer restarts wait for the problem to occur.
   5. When the problem is simulated (i.e. the machine is "dead, Avast doesn't work"), do the following: while holding down the _right_ CTRL key, press the SCROLL-LOCK key twice. This should cause the machine to "blue-screen", and start generating the dump.
   6. If the machine doesn't restart on its own (when the dump writing is complete), restart it.
   7. ZIP the file \windows\memory.dmp (try to name it uniquely) and upload it to the following ftp site: ftp.avast.com/incoming (note you don't have read access to the site, only write).

This is a knowledge based article http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71 should you/shop need it to send it to Avast so that the problem can be analyzed and fixed.

Sometimes these problems occur because of remnants left over from prior security software or current ones, a bad install, or malware, just to name a few.  But it will get fixed. 

gran101

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
1. Open regedit (go to Start > Run > type in regedit), go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters and add a new DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll" (no quotation marks). Make its value 1 (one).
   2. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery settings, and make sure the machine is set to generate COMPLETE memory dump (in the Write Debugging Information section).

gran101

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
I cannot generate a Blue Screen dump using ctrl/scroll lock it just restarts like it always does

gran101

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »
this is capture one of error message

gran101

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »
this is capture TWO of error message

gran101

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
this is capture THREE of error message

gran101

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
HOW do I "make sure the machine is set to generate COMPLETE memory dump (in the Write Debugging Information section)." ???
 I do not see that option see attachment image above Reply #20 on: Today at 06:08:18 PM

gran101

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »
I did add the new DWORD value called "CrashOnCtrlScroll"

I did do the malware test the PC is clean of malware and there was no found

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 12:59:39 AM »
Manual dump: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
In notebooks without the right most CTRL key, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51847.msg440718#msg440718

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52652.msg446063#msg446063
The best things in life are free.

luzagodo

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 05:05:39 AM »

There's a lot of information there. It might take a couple of read-throughs to absorb it all.