Author Topic: at a loss to find the virus -- SOLVED!!!  (Read 48562 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: at a loss to find the virus
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2010, 01:32:30 AM »
should i do something about the thread, or just leave it there?
you dont have to but you may edit the topic name by entering a ( SOLVED ) in front

theladyupstairs

Re: at a loss to find the virus
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
good idea.  and thanks for your participation too, pondus.  i learned a lot.

theladyupstairs

Re: at a loss to find the virus -- SOLVED!!!
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »
essexman - i just opened the link for service pack 3 and read this:

"This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update at http://update.microsoft.com ."

now i'm going to wait for another word from you - tomorrow, i'm sure, as you are getting your well-deserved beauty rest.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2010, 03:14:17 AM »
You're welcome.

The topics stay for posterity and those using the search function on related questions. By changing the original and adding Solved/Resolved, is enough to let those viewing the lists it is effectively concluded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »
essexman - i just opened the link for service pack 3 and read this:

"This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update at http://update.microsoft.com ."
<snip>

Don't worry about it, the download is for use off-line instead of the usual windows update having it install on-line and they are just being over dramatic. I also feel it is better as you can keep a copy of this SP3 for the future, should you ever have to reinstall your system from scratch, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

theladyupstairs

Re: at a loss to find the virus -- SOLVED!!! -- att: essexboy
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:17 AM »
essexman - in your reply #73 on july 18, in response to my question about the files on my usb & external hard drive that i used while my computer was infected, you said they should be okay.  i just read something horrible about usb infections in today's news.  something about "stuxnet" infection, which i am sure you know about.  is this something for me to worry about. 

i'm getting a new desktop pc with windows 7 & will want to transfer the from my sony using both usb & that little harddrive.  going to pick it up later this week.

what do you think?  thank you.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2010, 08:48:59 PM »
That is the latest USB rootkit, and there were none of the tell tale signs showing on your system

What I would recommend though is before you use the USB drive to reformat it.  There is a step by step guide here  http://www.scribd.com/doc/231100/Reformatting-a-USB-Drive

As you are getting a new system with windows 7, I would recommend that you ask for the 64bit version to be installed

You will love windows 7 once you get used to it 

theladyupstairs

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
thanks, essexman.  the problem is that i need to transfer the saved files ---  from the usb as well as the little external hard drive - on which all my data files on this laptop were backed up -- to the new one.

so i'm just a little worried about the data transfer into my new computer.

it sure is a 64 bit, windows 7 with all the fancy bells & whistles i don't need, but...  life is good.  and my little sony laptop acts like she is superman.  i hope it'll please you to know i've been passing on all the good info you gave me, such as spyblaster, ie8, java, etc. etc.

thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2010, 12:48:09 AM »
64bit windows 7, scan the USB and other drive with Avast/MBAM and you should be good to go - very little malware can cripple a 64 bit system yet

theladyupstairs

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2010, 02:58:20 AM »
thanks again, essex boy!  i wish you could see my smile of joy. 

i wish you all things in your life.