Author Topic: Unattended full scan  (Read 3533 times)

wagonman76

Unattended full scan
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
When I do a full scan, I prefer to just let it run at night since it takes awhile.  The only problem is the first time it finds something, it pauses and waits for me to say delete, move to chest, or whatever.  After that it gives me the option to not ask if it finds anything else.  But there's always that first time I've gotta wait for.  Sometimes I'll turn my speakers up all the way so the siren wakes me up if it finds something.

Is there any way to set it so, right from the beginning, it will just automatically delete, move to chest, or whatever, and I can do the whole scan unattended?  I've looked but have not been able to figure it out.

GloobyGoob

Re: Unattended full scan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
Hi there,

Are you talking about the boot-time scan or the full system scan? From what you've described, it seems like the boot scan, as I don't remember the full scan waits until you select an action. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The boot-time scan cannot be set to automatically apply actions, as it could delete an important system file, potentially damaging your system.

The full scan can be set to automatically perform actions. Open up the User Interface, go to the 'scan now' tab, pick a predefined scan, click settings and then go to actions. (Click screenshot below)

PS. To make scans faster, go to performance in the Settings window and check 'Use persistant cache'

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:57:09 PM by GloobyGoob »

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »
I read a post you made in a prior thread and you are using v. 4.8, so this is why you have to sit in front of the machine and wait forever to do the Full Scan.  Yes, you can set how you want your actions set in 4.8.  Version 5.0.594 doesn't work this way and is very quick compared to 4.8, not to mention the fact that 4.8 will no longer be supported at the end of this year.  I know you have dial-up, and this is the problem for you, but you can download v. 5.0.594 onto a flash drive and install it on your machine's HD that way:

Direct Download for Avast 5.0.594:
1). FREE http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2). PRO  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
3). AIS   http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe

You can also update the full VPS manually: http://www.avast.com/download-update.  This is an executable file that will install the full virus database.  Should you need to do this after the initial install, you will need to disable the Avast self-defense module (in Avast 5) to be able to replace the existing virus database.  FYI -- this may take a while to download on dial-up.

In addition, I highly suggest you upgrade your system to Win XP SP3 with all the security holes in SP2. 

wagonman76

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:51:11 AM »
Thanks.  I was referring to the full scan on 4.8.  This is good info, I had no idea that 4.8 would not be supported much longer.  I'll see about upgrading to 5.

Actually the system this is going on is at home, Win 2k SP4.

I started this thread before I started work, and that computer is XP, not sure of the SP.  I have no say in how it is set up and it does not use Avast.  But a few hours after posting here it picked up one heck of a trojan and had me down for awhile.  Not sure if Symantec and Norton are one in the same but I had issues with Norton not detecting things at home even when defs were up to date, that's why I ditched it and got Avast which has been better.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:40:25 AM »
- Win2k and avast 5.0 see:
Please make sure you have the Update Rollup 1 installed (it's required for avast! 5):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B54730CF-8850-4531-B52B-BF28B324C662&displaylang=en
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:40:55 AM »
Not sure if Symantec and Norton are one in the same but I had issues with Norton not detecting things at home even when defs were up to date, that's why I ditched it and got Avast which has been better.
Yes, they are the same company.  Unfortunately, others have also experienced similar problems as you of this company not picking up malware and put them in a bad situation, which is what brought them to Avast.  

I believe with v. 4.8 while doing the full scan you do need to either be in front of the machine or turn your volume up high to listen for the annoying siren, but it shouldn't take all night to do a scan unless you are also doing archives and have a huge amount of data/files on your machine.  When I had 4.8, I tried to stay in front of my machine as long as possible while paying bills and doing paperwork, then turn the volume up while eating dinner...even my neighbors could hear the sirens if they went off or "Virus Scan Is Complete."   ;D  I still recommend upgrading to the latest build when you can with the links I gave you in my earlier post.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:42:01 AM »
Thank you DavidR.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:06:38 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security