Author Topic: [SOLVED] A Little Advice Required. :)  (Read 12641 times)

Offline Dreamy

[SOLVED] A Little Advice Required. :)
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
First of all hello again.  :)

Okay soon my License for Online Armor firewall will expire.

Now i have a second license for AIS Paid.

So my desktop PC will be reformated and a new installation of Win XP Pro will be installed.
(I am going to attempt doing this myself)

Now for the advice.

A: Should i install Win XP Pro then do all the MicroSoft security updates manually first then install AIS Paid. ?

Or

B: Should i install Win XP Pro and upon completion of installation install AIS then update AIS then after all of that is done install all the MicroSoft Security Updates?

The Reason that i am asking is because i am unsure if AIS will interfere with the MicroSoft security updates if i put in AIS Paid first.

This will be what i will want on my desktop home PC for security.

AIS PAID
MBAM (Really wanting to buy this) its great.
SuperAntiSpyware (The free one)
SpywareBlaster

Will the 4 programs above interfere with each other ?

My notebook computer was already setup by our tech and has AIS PAID, MBAM free (which i am considering buying) & SpyWareBlaster. And it works great.

I would get our tech to do my desktop but i would rather not have him coming to my place it's a bit awkward. So i am asking you guru's what your advice would be on the bolded bit above.

Both my Pc's have 2 gigs Ram & XP Pro SP3

Thank You  :)

And Sorry for being a pest.  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:37:21 PM by Dreamy »
I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: A Little Advice Required. :)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »
1. The Reason that i am asking is because i am unsure if AIS will interfere with the MicroSoft security updates if i put in AIS Paid first.

AIS PAID
SpywareBlaster

2. Will the 4 programs above interfere with each other ?

1. AIS does not interfere with MS updates..!
2. Usually not...! (Still I see no reason for SpywareBlaster, but that's just my personal opinion..)
But why would you reformat your machine at all...??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
I do use SpywareBlaster on my systems
Secure Your Browser
 SpywareBlaster provides protection for your favorite web browser(s):

Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Netscape
Seamonkey
Flock
K-Meleon
and browsers that use the IE engine, including:
AOL web browser
Avant Browser
Slim Browser
Maxthon (formerly MyIE2)
Crazy Browser
GreenBrowser

Guarding the Door
 Many other programs use Internet Explorer as a default browser, or use the Internet Explorer engine to display their interface or content. So even if your browser is not listed above (e.g. Opera), SpywareBlaster will protect you in many other cases.

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »

AIS PAID
SpywareBlaster

2. Will the 4 programs above interfere with each other ?

1. AIS does not interfere with MS updates..!
2. Usually not...! (Still I see no reason for SpywareBlaster, but that's just my personal opinion..)
But why would you reformat your machine at all...??
asyn

Whoops  :-[ my fault for not being concise.

The shop will be putting in a bigger hard disk then i have to do the format and everything else.
I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »
I do use SpywareBlaster on my systems
Secure Your Browser

Yes i really like it and it never seems to interfere with anything.  :)

I like having Firefox installed beside Internet Explorer.

I also deleted Spybot S&D off of my desktop PC tonight and it runs much much faster. (Thank you Asyn)  :) 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Whoops  :-[ my fault for not being concise.
The shop will be putting in a bigger hard disk then i have to do the format and everything else.

No problem..! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
I also deleted Spybot S&D off of my desktop PC tonight and it runs much much faster. (Thank you Asyn)  :) 

You're welcome..!
I guess I adviced you to do so in another thread...!? ;D
asyn

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

You're welcome..!
I guess I adviced you to do so in another thread...!? ;D
asyn

That is correct and i have not looked back.  :) I put SupAntiSpyWare in it's place alongside MBAM.

And for SpyWare Blaster i guess it makes me feel safer, and it never seemed to interfere ever with anything so i am with YoKenny on that one.  :)

But i can not believe how much better my Desktop PC is now that i deleted Spybot S&D off it tonight.

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
Okay Thank you.  :)

So i will install Win XP Pro then install and update AIS then do all the MicroSoft security updates.

Thank you both Asyn & YoKenny  :)  :)

Jon_T

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
... Okay soon my License for Online Armor firewall will expire.
IMHO the OA firewall (even the free version) is overall a much better firewall (i.e.,HIPS, Program Control, etc.) than the current AIS firewall.

I did a custom install of AIS--did not install the firewall and the SPAM portions of AIS.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »
IMHO the OA firewall (even the free version) is overall a much better firewall (i.e.,HIPS, Program Control, etc.) than the current AIS firewall.

I did a custom install of AIS--did not install the firewall and the SPAM portions of AIS.

I would suggest avast! Silent Firewall. Its very silent and is for all (novice,pro,expert)

Also its dont interfert with any gamings or something else.

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »

Hmm i am confused now,  ??? So you think i should keep my OnlineArmor subscription going and install AIS custom like you did?  :)

I would suggest avast! Silent Firewall. Its very silent and is for all (novice,pro,expert)

Does my PAID AIS have the Silent bit?  :)

Jon_T

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
...Also its dont interfert with any gamings or something else.
Been using OA since it was first released.

Because of the HIPS/Program control you'll get a pop-up from OA when you first use an app/item asking if OK to run, otherwise OA has not interfered with my computer use.  No different than using any other white list based security app.

Would assume this has not been an issue with the OP or would have not purchased OA.  ;)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
That can be very annoying that HIPS. I dont like at all this kind of feature.

If you have avast! Firewall its very silent and you can config it your self for how u want him to work.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:04:43 PM by Mr.Agent »

Jon_T

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
Hmm i am confused now,  ??? So you think i should keep my OnlineArmor subscription going and install AIS custom like you did?  :)
Kind of a personal choice -- for myself yes, I like having the additional features of OA premium version--much more than just an software firewall: http://www.online-armor.com/products-online-armor-premium.php

Only reason I'm using avast! 5 IS instead of Pro is cost. ;D  I have three PCs. Was using avast! 4.8 Pro on the main PC, and 4.8 Home on the other PCs. Being that the single avast! 5 license is for three PCs and the upgrade discount for avast! 5 IS, upgrading to AIS was significantly less getting Pro version licenses for three PCs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:12:02 PM by Jon_T »