Author Topic: Cannot browse web with Avast active  (Read 16188 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot browse web with Avast active
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
And....
So....
Difficult to guess.
Hard to say.
Maybe... start again, formating?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 12:52:27 AM »
Thanks for all of the help but even set to use local proxy .... No Joy!

Guess I will have to admit defeat and do a geeksquad style nuke and pave.

You're welcome, sorry it wasn't a better outcome. This is most certainly a weird one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Onix

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »
Try the following:settings-troubleshooting. Then...I don't remember exactly,but AFAIR then should be something like redirect settings.Change redirect port:type 8080 instead of 80.

Offline Amgeek

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the idea, Onix, but still no joy.

ziucqea

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
Disable Web Shield straight away and check whether the problem adheres......
-if it doesn't, this means Web Shield is the module that stops your pc from displaying webpages, and we can give suggestions more specifically....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:02:50 PM by ziucqea »

Offline Amgeek

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
Disabled web shield - now can display web pages!!!!!!!!

ziucqea

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »
Disabled web shield - now can display web pages!!!!!!!!
Great. This happened to me before but nothing I did could make any difference.... And many people are actually having the same problem...
It seems that Dr.Com would cause such problem.
But Network Shield seem to scan all the links, including those scanned by Web Shield; and Filesystem Shield scans all the files written on your harddisk under default settings, right? So actually I see no point why it's vital to enabling Web Shield...
Should there be anything wrong in my stating, let me know... Thanks.

Offline Amgeek

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Good to know I am not alone ;D

Better to know how to fix it  :'(

I can't send the machine home knowing it is less than perfect :-\

Thanks

BILL G

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 02:01:10 AM »
    I have the same problem . I think it may be related to Renewing IP Address.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 03:19:40 AM »
The network shield isn't scanning the same links, it is checking them against the malicious sites list and not scanning for malware as the web shield does, there are completely different.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BILL G

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 11:31:24 AM »
    I start the Computer.  I can Update Programs OK,Firefox & IE  are Blocked from  the Net. I only see  UDP Port 127.0.0.1:1125  with WEB SHIELD  On.  I  turn WS Off for 2 sec. & I see TCP 127.0.0.1:12080.  FF& IE THEN WORK OK.  Why is WS Blocking  Port 12080?

ziucqea

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
The network shield isn't scanning the same links, it is checking them against the malicious sites list and not scanning for malware as the web shield does, there are completely different.
Ah, I'm afriaid you've made a mistake. Network Shield willcheck links for viruses. It actually checks every link including those of the browsers. That's why the number of links it scanns (shown in Avast! UI) is always more than that of Web Shield. Should you be interest, make a little test yourself: disable Web Shield and open a webpage that's been infected with viruses (or would you like to choose an infected page verified by Web Shield) and see whether Network shield will block the infected elements.

Offline Amgeek

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
Time has come for me to finish the job. Much as I would like to work this to the right answer, I can't, my client needs their machine back. So, here is how I am resolving the problem.

I am removing Avast and installing the free version of AVG. It works on this machine. I have even uninstalled the working copy of AVG and reinstalled Avast but that did not fix it. I am sending this machine home with its programs and data in tact (no GS nuke and pave). Only compromise I will be making is that it won't have my first choice in virus protection, Avast, on it.

Thanks you all for your help and I hope someone finds an answer.

Ed
www.amgeek.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
I have only been using the program for a little over six years, so I'm a relative novice at this. But, the Network Shield does not check for viruses period, that isn't its function. for every external link in a web page the network shield will check that domain against its malicious sites list, not the word domain it isn't scanning for viruses.

I suggest you spend some time browsing the viruses and worms forum you will find this to be correct.

Or from practical experience the network shield would alert before the web shied has a chance to even scan the page content (note the work page, which includes imports into that page). So if the network shield doesn't alert there should be nothing wrong with the page content, wrong as the many cases of the web shield alerts in the virus and worms forum attest.

If the network shied was scanning the page content the web shield wouldn't get a look in and would be redundant and that clearly isn't the case as they do different things.

quaggo

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
Thanks for all of the help but even set to use local proxy .... No Joy!

Guess I will have to admit defeat and do a geeksquad style nuke and pave.

Bummer,

Wait..I have had a similar problem after installing the latest Avast! free version. Please forgive me if I missed something here, I didn't read all the posts. But, did you try just stopping the file system real-time protection? Furthermore, in expert settings you could try just disabling the option to check scripting.  This fixed my problems with browsing the web and installing firefox.