Author Topic: Avast 5.0.594 blocking Chrome and when Web Shield is enabled Blocks all browsers  (Read 9976 times)

virusplagued

This is a Windows 7 machine which as been running fine with Avast for months. Then after a reboot it locks out all browsers. I finally discover that disabling Web Shield allows IE to browse the web but Chrome will not function unless Avast is removed? I tried to reinstall Chrome but I cannot even download the files at this point. I have seen similar prolems all over these fourms where is the fix! this is crap!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Which is your firewall?
Any other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

virusplagued

windows friewall, no change when disabled. No other security programs have ever been loaded but AVG is looking pretty good right now!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Do you mean you've changed from avast to AVG?

virusplagued

no as clearly stated above no program ever loaded tothis machine but AVAST, the expression means that I am considering a switch due to the error I am experiencing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I see...
I have no connections problems in my machine. And, believe me, it's a complicated one with a lot of filters and applications running.
I never had a problem with Chrome connection. Did you try IE and Firefox (or Opera)? You've set "locks out all browsers", is that what you mean?
Had in the past other antivirus in this machine?
I'm trying to guess what's wrong...

ziucqea

Some people claim that DrCom would cause such a problem, and some guys believe that the OS has somehow been modified... Anyway, Avast! is blocking port 80, which is vital for browsers.
Let's try everything we can think of(anyway,things won't get worse...):
In 'troubleshooting', add 'localhost' to 'ignore address' and check if it works;
Change the proxy of your browser to whatever you like and modify the corresponding port in 'HTTP port(s)' of troubleshooting.
Lastly, if nothing works, uninstall Web Shield straight away...
You can disable it temporarily and surf some websites that are confirmed to carry malwares, usually, Network Shield would block the elements or the whole webpage, so that you can uninstall Web Shield decisively...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Avast! is blocking port 80, which is vital for browsers.
avast (free) does not block anything. It just scans. It's an antivirus.

Change the proxy of your browser to whatever you like and modify the corresponding port in 'HTTP port(s)' of troubleshooting.
It won't help... Bad advise in my opinion.

You can disable it temporarily and surf some websites that are confirmed to carry malwares, usually, Network Shield would block the elements or the whole webpage, so that you can uninstall Web Shield decisively...
Bad advise in my opinion.

ziucqea

Bad advise in my opinion.
So your good advice is...?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
could the windows firewall block that gate 80? sens it make no logic it can't be avast blocking the web browser from lancing. or it must be another security program. 

could the maching i question been hit by a malware meaby?

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/ download and update and scan and see if it finds anything.

this is just thoughts  from me.

good luck and lets hope we on the forum can solve the problem for you.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

LarryGS

I had a similar problem, where my download speed dropped from > 10mbps to less than 1mbps after upgrading to 5.0.594. Deleteing port 80 from Troubleshooting\Redirect\HTTP Port completely solved it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That isn't solving anything, you might as well have uninstalled the web shield as you are effectively disabling the web shield as it isn't redirecting anything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security