Author Topic: Avast! refuses to update definitions on desktop  (Read 31337 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast! refuses to update definitions on desktop
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
As I was suggesting in our previous posts, you do have a lot going on besides malware.

Just to verify, you now have Windows Firewall ON, and Windows Defender ON and updated....correct?

So that we and others can help you, you need to go to the top of the page to the "PROFILE" tab > enter your Signature (information about your machine and settings)...see ours as ideas.

Essexboy will be contacting you regarding your MBAM and OTL logs after reviewing them.  In the meantime, do not make any more changes to your machine.  Thank you.

cherryshot

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »
Yes everytime i turn on the comp i turn back on the firewall. and as for windows defender i just checked for updates and it says "the program cant check for definition updates error found: Code 0x8024800a. But it says real time protection is on

cherryshot

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 12:01:58 PM »
Updated profile as requested, signature is my current status.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
Hi I have two programmes for you to run - but unfortunately I will be offline for the next 7 days

Please download MBRCheck.exe to your desktop.
  • Be sure to disable your security programs
  • Double click on the file to run it (Vista and Windows 7 users will have to confirm the UAC prompt)
  • A window similar to this should open on your desktop:

• If you are prompted with options, enter N at the prompt and press Enter
  • PressEnter again
  • A .txt file named MBRCheck_mm.dd.yy_hh.mm.ss should appear on your deskop.  Please post the contents of that file.
THEN

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal.  It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you.  Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

cherryshot

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
403 Forbidden
Access to this resource on the server is denied!

I get this message when i click on the mbrcheck.exe link

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:19 PM »
Cherryshot, I've just checked the URL myself, and the home page, and it is not (necessarily) your computer. The site is temporarily offline while a url infection (site hacking attempt) is investigated.
(This sort of thing sometimes happens.)

Keep trying again, from time to time.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »
Proceed direct to the combofix step please. It appears that someone is determined to stop G2G - they have pulled the site until they are sure it is clean