Author Topic: Avast 5 and Outlook 2010  (Read 6378 times)

jasqid

Avast 5 and Outlook 2010
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »
Ok, I found a similar thread in the BETA forum that says to just turn off SSL in outlook and the avast mail scanner will handle the rest. I've looked for this in my exchange account under the security tab... there is nothing about SSL but, I do have a check box for an "Encrypted connection between outlook and exchange server" (See screen cap) that I UNCHECKED. (It hasnt worked... even after restarting OL.

Since I thought this was the closest thing to opening the encryption for avast to handle, I checked the mail scanner and there is no activity.

What do I need to do?

Thanks for any help!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 5 and Outlook 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »
and what is behind the advanced tab ?

In order for e-mails to be scanned by the Mail Shield, it is necessary that encryption is turned off in the mail client software.
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:16:35 PM by Pondus »

jasqid

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
nothing of importance to the encryption or mail scanning... :-\

jasqid

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
This is what was in the mail shield. (Attached).

As for the other tabs in Outlook 2010 Exchange settings... The connections tab is just basic LAN or dialup connections. There is nothing in these account settings to choose the ports... as your link shows. Which it appears to me to be Outlook 2007... (?shrug?).

That encyption check was marked before with original setup and thats when I got the avast warning about it. So after unchecking it... the mail scanner is still showing that nothing has been checked. The grid is flat lined.

** I'm gonna try just putting the IP of the comcast server in.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:55:49 PM by jasqid »

k.u.r.t

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong here, but given the last screen shot I guess that the account types are e-mail, not exchange. Therefore your exchange settings window - wherever you got it from - will have no effect.

1. Under Outlook 2010 go to File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings ...
2. A window opens, the first tab, e-mail holds your current account, click Change ...
3. Untick SPA
4. Go to More Settings ... > Advanced tab
5. Untick "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)"

jasqid

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong here, but given the last screen shot I guess that the account types are e-mail, not exchange. Therefore your exchange settings window - wherever you got it from - will have no effect.

1. Under Outlook 2010 go to File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings ...
2. A window opens, the first tab, e-mail holds your current account, click Change ...
3. Untick SPA
4. Go to More Settings ... > Advanced tab
5. Untick "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)"

1. Check
2. Check
3. There is no SPA to uncheck. Only Check box on this screen is below the server name and its "Use Cached Exchange Mode" which is checked.
4. Check.. this is in the screen caps above (The security and advanced tabs).
5. The only reference to encryption is what is in the screen cap above on the security tab. No reference to SSL though.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
Re: point no. 3

What if you untick "Use Cached Exchange Mode". Do you then get the right things in the further points?

jasqid

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »
Re: point no. 3

What if you untick "Use Cached Exchange Mode". Do you then get the right things in the further points?

Nothing. None of the options changed. (Advised I had to restart OL, which I did.)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »
And what is on the General tab ?

jasqid

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »
And what is on the General tab ?

Nothing important as to encryption and getting the avast mail scanner to take over. Even with the Encryption unchecked as stated above... the mail scanner is still not showing any activity.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
But this is not the Comcast account, is it ?

slk2k

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
In case you don't know, comcast does offer exchange mailboxes for its comcast business class accounts.  I don't know if this is what he has,  but it is possible.

jasqid

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:28 PM »
In case you don't know, comcast does offer exchange mailboxes for its comcast business class accounts.  I don't know if this is what he has,  but it is possible.

Yes, sorry. This is a comcast businessclass exchange account. I have the Norton Business suite on my office PC but my personal laptop I have avast home and setup my Outlook 2010 to sync my exchange account to it.

This is where the problem is. The Norton Business solution via comcast (seems) to have no issues... but my latop on the other hand... well... it's all above.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm afraid that the Outlook <-> Exchange communication won't be scanned because it uses a protocol other than POP3/SMTP/IMAP that are supported by the avast mail scanner.