Author Topic: Just to make sure my computer is clean from malware  (Read 44446 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: Just to make sure my computer is clean from malware
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
which webbrowser does avast recommend?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

SafeSurf

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »
Avast does not recommend a web browser because that is your choice.  The most popular browsers now for Windows are Firefox, Opera, Chrome, IE, Safari, and Iron and I probably left something out, but this is off the top of my head. 

Everyone will have a preference of what they use and what they dislike.  You can tell from my signature what my preference is and my add-on's give me extra security features within my browser.  Avast adds to this protection.  Then I layer this protection with on-demand scanners like MBAM, or in your case you decided on SAS. 

So by layering your protection, keeping your AV definitions up to date, having a good third party firewall, using safe browsing practice, keeping your software up to date (scan it free with Secunia PSI http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ regularly), and using common sense will keep you safer.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
i have a question what is the Behavior Shield  for.  under  statistics  on my old windows xp computer SP3  the statistic of the Behavior shield shows 2 viruses on it but it is a clean computer.
p.s my old windows xp computer only has 2% free space left

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2010, 04:12:29 AM »
ok my windows xp SP3 computer on one of the shield is saying that it blocked 5 infections what is this shield for and what does it mean?

SafeSurf

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2010, 09:44:29 AM »
There are several threads in the 4.0 - 5.0 section of the forum (not the Worms and Virus section) regarding this problem.  Here is one thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61342.0, but there is another on the first page. 

I would just do your normal updates with Avast, and use an on-demand scanner (like MBAM or SAS) since Avast developers have not given us an answer to the questions we have asked them on this issue.  We, including the Evangelists, have also had issues like this, and have used almost every tool available and still come out clean despite the Behavioral Shield giving us an "infected" indicator, and the log gives little information.  So unless Avast scans and on-demand scans give you something else, I would not worry about it.

Any additional problems regarding the Behavioral Shield issue, please post in the 4.0 - 5.0 section of the forum.  Thanks.  :)

Dch48

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
I still have never seen the behavior shield block anything. So far, it's scanned 1086 things with no infections found. This is the total from May 12th to now.

SafeSurf

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
It must mean you've been a good boy.  ;)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 12:53:17 AM »
Hello i hope this is the right place to ask this but what is this thing in windows xp for?
i found it in options on Disk Defragment.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:23:58 AM by Coolmario88cp »