Author Topic: [Resolved] Avast Warning System is Unsecured and Service not running  (Read 13705 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Warning System is Unsecured and Service not running
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:37 AM »
I'm not sure where you got that virus from but malware is becoming more and more prevalent, so don't be too harsh on yourself or your daughter.  We as users just need to be more vigilant.

I would do the following to assure you are malware free:

1.  Update your Avast definitions, if not done already, and run a Full and Boot-time scan.
2.  Update and run another MBAM scan.

The reason for repeating the scans is to make sure all is gone, plus the boot scan is different than the other scans.

3.  Use a more secure browser than IE for aol.  I would suggest your daughter moving to FF and using the aol webmail https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?sitedomain=sns.webmail.aol.com&lang=en&seamless=novl&offerId=newmail-en-us-v2&authLev=0&siteState=ver%3A4|rt%3ASTANDARD|at%3ASNS|ld%3Awebmail.aol.com|uv%3AAOL|lc%3Aen-us|mt%3AAOL|snt%3AScreenName|sid%3A69115569-e09b-479b-bce8-652ee20343f3&locale=us (still has full features, but you need to enable flash and scripts and that is why I suggest using this with on FF with the suggested add-on's).  With FF, you can enable NoScript, BetterPrivacy, AdblockPlus, and other add-on's to increase your security.

As mentioned in earlier posts, leave the Avast settings at default for now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 02:57:52 AM »
@ Libra
OK, that scan All files option is I believe overkill as you are going to be scanning files that aren't at risk of infection, etc. The default settings are going scan any file considered at risk, plus it also depends on the term opening, it is possible to open some files without running/executing them. That is covered by default in the Scan when executing tab, if a file is to be executed it will first be scanned and why there is no such scan all files option.

To me the same is true of scan when writing as these would mostly be data files capable of being written to. Executable files if they were written to it is most likely as a result of a true virus infection/injection and these files would be scanned under the when files are created or modified the FSS.

I have left these scan all files at the default as I don't believe avast would have that as the default setting if it were dangerous to do so.

The web shield default is to scan all files, so that it can attempt to detect malware and abort the connection, stopping it from being saved on the system.

I don't know why MBAM detected this as other than the log data there is no way to analyse the file, it could well be that it wasn't detected by avast as no AV will give 100% protection. That is true of MBAM also but it compliments avast and I run a weekly update and scan though it has never found anything (though I don't really expect it to) other than a couple of FPs, which is true of all security applications, none are FP free or will give 100% detection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Libra

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »
Hi DavidR,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back.  You make a good case for leaving the settings at the default  :).  I'll leave them that way.  Thank you for explaining the logic behind them.

Hi Safesurf,

I ran a full scan and a boot scan and came up clean.  I had already updated Malwarebytes and ran another scan, which also came up clean. 

I appreciate both of your advice and asssistance with this.

Sincerely, Libra

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast Warning System is Unsecured and Service not running
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »
Libra,

That's good news!  :)

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.  Let us know if we can be of help in the future.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 04:25:15 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back.  You make a good case for leaving the settings at the default  :).  I'll leave them that way.  Thank you for explaining the logic behind them.
<snip>

No problem, glad I could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security