Author Topic: replying to an answered query  (Read 2130 times)

CHARLIET

replying to an answered query
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »
as i am new here, i can claim ignorance and not necessarily stupidity...is there a way to directly reply to a message from a member regarding my question?  if so, it is not immediately evident.  the members who have replied to me have there emails hidden, so no luck there.  or do i just do a new post in reference to the reply(s) i have...thanks for the help, at least i'm a fast learner.....  based on a couple of replies, i do mean a PM, but sofar am unable to send any...perhaps i just don't have enough posts yet. thanks for the help and more is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:05:12 PM by CHARLIET »

Tweakerz

Re: replying to an answered query
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »
Guessing you mean to send a PM? If so then I get a message that states I cannot send PM so I would assume it is a forum restriction that is in place, for what reason I am not sure but it is probably mentioned somewhere but I haven't the time to search for it this morning.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
there are restrictions until you've reached 20 posts, but I'm not sure if pm is affected...well according to your post it is, but you've reached 21 posts now, so you're good.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »
as i am new here, i can claim ignorance and not necessarily stupidity...is there a way to directly reply to a message from a member regarding my question?  if so, it is not immediately evident.  the members who have replied to me have there emails hidden, so no luck there.  or do i just do a new post in reference to the reply(s) i have...thanks for the help, at least i'm a fast learner.....  based on a couple of replies, i do mean a PM, but sofar am unable to send any...perhaps i just don't have enough posts yet. thanks for the help and more is much appreciated!

avast related problems or those asked on the forums should be responded on the forums, aside from any forum PM restrictions.

There are downsides to using PMs instead of using the forums:
1. There are others who can also help (and they won't see the answer) so you aren't waiting for one person to help.
2. The question (and answer) may well be one that others will benefit from and this won't happen using the PM function.
3. Problems and answers are often detailed or complex, by PM it is hard to keep track (especially if more than one persons problem/s are being dealt with with by PM), with the forums everything is kept together in the thread for easier reference and that is the reason for the forums.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tweakerz

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:34 AM »
there are restrictions until you've reached 20 posts, but I'm not sure if pm is affected...well according to your post it is, but you've reached 21 posts now, so you're good.

Seeing as there is now an icon for PM and not just to View Profile I say you're correct and thank you as I didn't know the specifics, just knew some restriction had been implemented.  8)