Author Topic: Little Help with Avast 4  (Read 5836 times)

Synapse

Little Help with Avast 4
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:59:20 AM »
Hi i am new to Avast!, i wanted to download this and give it a shot because i heard great things about it, i currently have Kerio, AVG, Bazooka, Spy Bot Search and Destroy, Spy Cleaner Gold and Ad-aware.

Any ways, i have heard alot of people on this forum worrying about them getting the virus or trojan off there computer, with a virus remover, and i wanted to know if Avast! does not do that when i hit delete.

Sorry its kinda a newb question, i just want to get everything straight, and squared away.

- Synapse

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Little Help with Avast 4
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 10:09:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

If you tell Avast to delete a infected file, it will do so. Most people who have troubles with that did not read the manual and/or are doing something wrong. But Avast can't be blamed for that.

If you buy a tv, hook it up and start complaining about having no channels........ While stated in the manual (which you didn't read) that you need to program the channels first it is not the tv manufacturer who is to blame  ;D

Synapse

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 10:21:04 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply,

Yeah i kinda figured that if you hit delete it will . . . delete :D

thanks again,

- Synapse

OO and nice analogy :D

Synapse

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 11:12:43 AM »
Ok here are some situations for you guys:

A. I have on-Access running, and i am entering a site that gives me a pop up and that pop up downlaods a file on its own, that file is adware or a virus, will Avast's On-Access give me a popup saying that a virus or an adware file has been detected on my system?

B. I Have on access running and i enter a site that contains a virus or adware or something of that nature, will Avast's On Access or just Avast! give me a pop up right away saying that a virus has been detected?

Thanks,
- Synapse

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 11:30:52 AM »
A & B) Depends on your settings in Avast. These settings also depends on what browser you are using. The on-access scanner, as the name says, scans on-access. That means when a file (and webpages are files) are accessed locally, or are written to your hd. Browsers use a cahce folder to temporarly store webpages, pictures etc you view on the web. So yes Avast will scan them and alert you if it finds something. Some browsers (eg Firefox and some others) store the cache files without extension, by default Avast does not scan files without extension. But you can set Avast to do so in the settings.

Hint: Avast Pro is more configurable, has a script blocker and some other things Home hasn't. If you like home after using it a while, I suggest you get Pro

Fast reply? Get used to it if you decide to stay a member of this forum  :D :D :D

Synapse

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 11:34:25 AM »
LOL, thanks bro, ooo and i have just now placed an order for PRO :D, i havent even been a full day avast user and im already buying it :D

Good job avast team, and good job too all the people who reply to some of these peoples answers

Synapse

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:39:48 AM »
wait nvm, avast pro is free ware?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 11:46:19 AM »
No, Avast Pro is not free. It has a evaluation version though. But imo definatly worth to buy. See here for prices

http://www.avast.com/eng/purchase/pricelists/avast_4_professional.html

Since you like Avast (already  ;D) I would say get the 3 year license, it will safe you 40usd ! Besides that, you know for sure you will have the next 3 years all updates :D

Synapse

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 11:52:36 AM »
true true, thanks alot man