Author Topic: Firefox takes the lead in Germany (over IE)  (Read 27404 times)

13thSlayer

Re: Firefox takes the lead in Germany (over IE)
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
I've used IE exclusively since I first got on line in 1999. IE4 was the norm then and the browser has improved with every successive release. I have tried all of the others and found them all lacking in many various respects. I tried Netscape back in '99 and absolutely hated it. It wouldn't display a good portion of the web correctly. I really don't care what "takes the lead" in Germany. Their government's policies towards the Internet are ludicrous to say the least.
IE is not even standard-compliant. It renders pages weirdly. It's not considered a normal browser by most sane people. Compare the test results!

Altarir.

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
so whoever deleted my post here go ahead and explain me WHY.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »
Cause your rude comment has nothing to do with the topic and doesn't conform to forum rules.
(And I'm not saying it doesn't apply to other posts as well, but this one had absolutely no informational value.)

YoKenny

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »
I've used IE exclusively since I first got on line in 1999. IE4 was the norm then and the browser has improved with every successive release. I have tried all of the others and found them all lacking in many various respects. I tried Netscape back in '99 and absolutely hated it. It wouldn't display a good portion of the web correctly. I really don't care what "takes the lead" in Germany. Their government's policies towards the Internet are ludicrous to say the least.
Well said 8)

When I was working I was introduced to the Internet through having to support IBM's OS/2 Warp Communication Manager for Canada.
I sure learned a lot about browsers and their capabilities.

Dch48

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
IE is not even standard-compliant. It renders pages weirdly. It's not considered a normal browser by most sane people. Compare the test results!
Sorry but IE IS compliant with all the actual things that are actually standards. The Acid 3 tests are ludicrous because those are not standards but things that some self important people want to make standards and I couldn't care less about them. Standards are things widely accepted, used and acknowledged. Acid 3 and HTML5 are not standards, they are wishes. They may become standard in the future but they aren't now. IE is the standard right now and in my opinion, the only reason for other browsers to even exist is to give people choices. They certainly aren't any better at doing the job of surfing the Internet in it's present state.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:37:38 PM by Dch48 »

13thSlayer

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »

Sorry but IE IS compliant with all the actual things that are actually standards. The Acid 3 tests are ludicrous because those are not standrads but things that some self important people want to make standards and I couldn't care less about them. Standards are things widely accepted, used and acknowledged. Acid 3 and HTML5 are not standards, they are wishes. They may become standard in the future but they aren't now. IE is the standard right now and in my opinion, the only reason for other browsers to even exist is to give people choices. They certainly aren't any better at doing the job of surfing the Internet in it's present state.
HTML5 is not standard, nor is CSS3. I agree on that - however, there are W3C standards that SHOULD be followed.

Altarir.

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
IE lacks one of the best(and maybe THE best) security addons nowadays: NoScript. Thats it.

Hermite15

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
let's wait for the beta of IE9 that should be out in a bit less than a month now, might be interesting. This said Internet Explorer has been a huge and bad joke, a really bad joke so far, and praising it make you become part of that joke, period. IE8 became dominant in terms of market share, and just because it was/is bundled with Windows, explaining why web sites had to be compliant during years. This time is over, any other browser does a better job at anything than Internet Explorer, that's not too difficult hey.
 But some prefer to adopt the following attitude, and as far as I'm concerned, they're free to do so ;D

13thSlayer

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
@Logos:
Good that you think this way. What browser are you on, btw? Definetly not IE

Dch48

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
I could just as well use this image to describe all the people who listen to self appointed gurus who tell them they have to use a different browser than IE.

13thSlayer

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »
I could just as well use this image to describe all the people who listen to self appointed gurus who tell them they have to use a different browser than IE.

This is more like IE users ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:31:33 PM by 13thSlayer »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
All Browsers are tools to be used.
We all have our favorites and none of them are perfect.
Simple rule is to use the browser best suited for the job at hand.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

YoKenny

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »

More like Lemmings.

All Browsers are tools to be used.
We all have our favorites and none of them are perfect.
Simple rule is to use the browser best suited for the job at hand.
+1

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
IMO Opera is closest to perfect, I only need IE for logmein.

YoKenny

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
IMO Opera is closest to perfect, I only need IE for logmein.
I always wait for the Fat Lady to sing in the Opera.  ;)