Author Topic: Review based on Online Scanner results  (Read 16572 times)

Stran05

Review based on Online Scanner results
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »
I am really willing to point out a statistical analysis on the detection rate of antivirus programs via some results from some Virus Total Results. Right now I have only gathered five VirusTotal results tested on a Javascript, a Backdoor virus, a Trojan Dropper, a Trojan and a PDF Exploit. The results are compiled into a single MS-Excel file which you can download from the link below:

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/CZueaLxae3B70nn2f3bROg38912

I will gather 100 VirusTotal and NoVirusThanks results and will then anlalyse them. In such a way I can find which antivirus is the best in terms of detection rate. For more info visit:

http://ssrsecurity.wetpaint.com/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:34:11 PM by Stran05 »

Hermite15

Re: Review based on Online Scanner results
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
and what is that doing in the free/pro/suite section, apart from advertising your web site ??? ::)

Stran05

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
Where should I post it then?

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
Where should I post it then?

in the general topic section...but it's too late. And mods here don't move threads when needed...anyway, as far as I'm concerned, that's advertising a web site with no serious goal in mind, concerning security matters. Your site basically prompts people to register to see anything. And statistics elaborated on the basis of a few observations with VirusTotal don't mean much.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:45:19 PM by Logos »

Stran05

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
The most serious goal in mind is verifying the detction rates of the 42 concerned antivirus products and check their accuracy.
My site does not require registering, you can view threads and download attachments anytime you want.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Review based on Online Scanner results
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
Moderators:  Thread closed.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »
they won't close it they'll just let go...

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
Hint to others not to post in this thread perhaps.

Stran05

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
AV Comparatives only check the antivirus solutions against 6 moth old samples, so they are not really out in the wild.
The VirusTotal Results have been gathered from many support forums where the posters have are talking about a new sample, not 6 moths old ones. Though I have been at the receiving end from Kaspersky who say that as VT uses a very old version of Kaspersky's antivirus products, the detection might not be accurate. I agree with them, but that's the best way we have got. I am in short collecting the VT results for all new threats received and analyzed from malicious urls and exploits that have been submitted in the forums. I lay no faith in detection of old samples as they are rarely out in the wild.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »
Any methodology, any test, will be pros and cons. We'll never be satisfied :)
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
Any methodology, any test, will be pros and cons. We'll never be satisfied :)

+1

@ Stran05

As you use Avira AntiVir Personal 10 why do you not stick to Avira forums ???

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your gmail.com email address.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »
I mean people like the OP here make a big mistake. Same mistake is observed at professional level as well as at amateur level attempting to advertise themselves behind the pretext of helping security software companies with their tests and reports ;D One thing is clear, security software companies improve their products based on users' feedback, people actually running it permanently, posting and reporting on forums. Serious people don't give a crap for external testing and comparatives of security software (unless they're called Comodo ;D :-X ...yeah, I said serious people :) ).

Stran05

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
Uptil now, 9 results have been analyzed. I shall be producing an early summary(not final) after 20 results have been analyzed. Some newly added categories are Bots and keyloggers. It seems that till now Avira, Symantec and Microsoft Security essentials can go far, though I am surprised with Avast's (bad) result. You can download Update 1 from the link below:

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/EuHQYSmvzQ2zDl70Ofs1mA58880

Thank You, more updates soon.

silviucc

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
You'd be more credible if your testing methodology was explained somewhere, really. Else I'm going to consider this a trolling attempt...

disPlay

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
You'd be more credible if your testing methodology was explained somewhere, really. Else I'm going to consider this a trolling attempt...

I share the same opinion. For now I only see a goal, advertising your website.