Author Topic: Review based on Online Scanner results  (Read 16626 times)

Stran05

Re: Review based on Online Scanner results
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »
My testing methods are very very simple. I gather VirusTotal results from various security forums and bring them undera statistical analysis to find out which of the 42 antivirus engines have caught the most number of samples. The test is depended totally on VirusTotal. The tests have been conducted on various virus categories. After 20 results have been analyzed, then a mini summary will be made. The final summary will only be made after all 100 results have been gathered and analyzed. Right now, I have gathered and analyzed only 14, the next Update 2 will be released with 15 results in all total. And please, I am not advertising my website in any way.

Update 2 has seen Avast catching 4 of the 5 new samples but Avira almost everyone of them. MSE and AVG are still very balanced in their detection rates.

Stran05

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 05:34:47 AM »
Update 2 to be released today. Update 3 with mini summary to be released on the 31st July 2010.

Stran05

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
Update 2 has been released with 15 analyzed results. Check it out from the link below:

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/TwtSDaUJ6wh4EgxC2iEtUg74240

Sorry for the late release. Please post your feedbacks.

NAMOR

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
My testing methods are very very simple. I gather VirusTotal results from various security forums and bring them undera statistical analysis to find out which of the 42 antivirus engines have caught the most number of samples. The test is depended totally on VirusTotal. The tests have been conducted on various virus categories. After 20 results have been analyzed, then a mini summary will be made. The final summary will only be made after all 100 results have been gathered and analyzed. Right now, I have gathered and analyzed only 14, the next Update 2 will be released with 15 results in all total. And please, I am not advertising my website in any way.

Update 2 has seen Avast catching 4 of the 5 new samples but Avira almost everyone of them. MSE and AVG are still very balanced in their detection rates.

let me save you some time, Virusinfo does this already.

http://virusinfo.info/index.php?page=testseng
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:28:10 PM by NAMOR »

Stran05

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
I have released the Online Scanner Detection Rate Final Update. You can download the Summary or the Full Project Info(Along with which virus sample was tested and full review of the 20 tested samples etc.) I will not give any sneak peak about the results but the highest detection rate obtained is 70%(14 out 20). Download from the links below:

Summary:

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/K_xvo4cZQgs9iaygiq_fpg69120

Full Project:

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/QJVDi6ed-5WnyFHs6GHM-w43387']Online Scanner Detection Test Full Project

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »

let me save you some time, Virusinfo does this already.

http://virusinfo.info/index.php?page=testseng
+1
As you are using Avira AntiVir Personal 10 why don't you stick to Avira and post is its forums ???
Virustotal is a service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines
http://www.virustotal.com

Why do you like to expose your cellon.hpage(at)gmail.com email address to spammers and scammers  ???

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your gmail.com email address.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:40:12 PM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
Possibly as they aren't so easy going and friendly towards this type of topic ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Possibly as they aren't so easy going and friendly towards this type of topic ;D
Why do you think I'm here and not using Avira ???
http://brandingadvice.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2.jpg

Stran05

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »
The Avira Support Forum has very much accepted and encouraged this project. It is a much more serious and more professional forum. Panda Technologies have also accepted this review well. I will not reject the fact that Kaspersky was not pleased because of testing with VirusTotal as they use an old engine of kaspersky. But it has still secured a very good detection rate as you see.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »
Then I suggest that you continue it there, if you feel they are more serious and professional.

All it seems to be doing here is giving link popularity hits for wetpaint.com, etc. (often called link spamming) when NAMOR showed you how to save yourself the trouble in Reply #18
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:28:36 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
Then I suggest that you continue it there.

+1 and I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted yet.

Stran05

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
These are no spam but legitimate online scanner results. If you post a link to a virus total result does it mean that you are promoting virus total? You people are all Avast fan boys and get worked up when avast does not so good in any detection test.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 08:04:50 PM »
You people are all Avast fan boys
I'm out of this affirmation. No fanboyism. It's an immature attitude.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 08:47:24 PM »
These are no spam but legitimate online scanner results. If you post a link to a virus total result does it mean that you are promoting virus total? You people are all Avast fan boys and get worked up when avast does not so good in any detection test.

There is a legitimate purpose in posting virustotal links, so users might be able to scan suspect/infected files or show the results of an uploaded file. Kind of hard to do without giving the link, which is entirely different to what you are doing here. People aren't asking you for help or to do this, you are promoting it yourself for your own purposes.

Fanboy, you certainly haven't been here very long to try and label me with that one; if I see something wrong I raise the problem and shout about it like most of the others you try to attach that label 'because you don't like what they say' are just as quick to shout about a problem. Note I did say (often called link spamming) not that you are spamming.

No one has got worked up about avast not doing so good in your detection test, no one has mentioned it at all in this topic and I highly doubt they have even bothered to go to your site either. They tend to go on their own personal experience of avast. My personal experience is over six and a half years of using avast, with not a single infection and I have poked my nose into some dodgy sites whilst investigating topics in the viruses and worms forum.

Personally I feel you are wasting your time, given what has been said but those posting and the fact that this information is already available.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:49:20 PM by DavidR »

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 08:54:39 PM »
Then I suggest that you continue it there.

+1 and I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted yet.
+1
I'm agreeing with Logos on this one!

Personally I feel you are wasting your time, given what has been said but those posting and the fact that this information is already available.
+1