Author Topic: Comodo Firewall Pro 3 and avast 5.0  (Read 2730 times)

ccookie

Comodo Firewall Pro 3 and avast 5.0
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »
Hello, I have Avast! Free 5.0 on my Windows XP system, and people said I should get a firewall, and Comodo Firewall Pro 3 looks pretty good. Will it go good with Avast! and also, is Comodo Firewall Pro 3 light on resources?

Dch48

Re: Comodo Firewall Pro 3 and avast 5.0
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »
Comodo is very light on resources but even if you install only the Firewall you get the other elements of Comodo Internet Security on your system, they're just not activated. Version 3 is now replaced by 4.1 as well. One other thing to point out is that Comodo firewall includes a HIPS component called Defense + which if not disabled will alert you to every action that programs try to take. It will do this the first time you use a program and if you tell D+ to remember your choice of responses, you will not be alerted again for that action. I used the entire Internet Security suite for a year but grew tired of the alerts for perfectly safe actions by safe applications so I am now using only the basic firewall without the HIPS. The HIPS does give you a higher level of protection but at a cost in usability and convenience that I'm not willing to pay any more. You can get the firewall installer from Comodo's web site and it will give you 3 options of the level of protection you want. The first choice only installs a two way firewall without the HIPS (it works very well with Avast!) and the other two choices will install the HIPS with differing configurations.

SafeSurf

Re: Comodo Firewall Pro 3 and avast 5.0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
ccookie,

Go to PROFILE on the top of the main forum page > Modify Profile > Forum Profile Information > Signature.   Enter information about your system like the Operating System (OS), RAM, browser, security software, what version of Avast and firewall you use, and any add-on’s or other items you wish to mention.  See my signature and Dch48 as an example.  The purpose of this is so that we can offer pertinent advice.  Thank you.  ;)