Author Topic: Avast Boot Scan arguments  (Read 2476 times)

ibell63

Avast Boot Scan arguments
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:22:32 AM »
I noticed that running an avast boot scan adds a line that looks like this to a startup area.

aswBoot.exe /A:"" /L:"1031" /heur:80 /pup /archives /IA:0 /KBD:2 /dir:"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5"

I assume that the "/heur:80" option has to do with the heuristics sensitivity.  What is the range of acceptable values?  What values correspond to what selections in the UI?  (eg. 80 = Normal, 100 = High)?

Can I set a heuristic sensitivity higher than "High" in the UI?  I am prepared to deal with lots of false positives, I would simply like to play with this and want to know the range of acceptable values.

Thanks,
Ian

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Boot Scan arguments
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »
Hi Ian,

Go to PROFILE on the top of the main forum page > Modify Profile > Forum Profile Information > Signature.  Enter information about your system like the Operating System (OS), RAM, browser, security software, what version of Avast and firewall you use, and any add-on’s or other items you wish to mention.  See my signature as an example.  The purpose of this is so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Can I set a heuristic sensitivity higher than "High" in the UI?
You can only go as high as the GUI allows you to go.  With PUPS and increasing your sensitivity, you will most likely be dealing with FP's.  We usually advise people to leave things at default settings until they are used to the program.  I will defer your other questions to a team member.