Author Topic: Scan Logs - what are all the [?] codes? AND system freeze with ActiveSync.  (Read 2895 times)

sh2811

Hi,

I have just switched to Avast from Avira's Antivir and have a a couple of questions. I am slightly reluctant to ask this as I'm sure the answer is in an obvious place but I've had a look and must have missed it.
Can anyone tell me what all the different log codes mean within the scan logs. Is there a list somewhere of all the possibilities?

I can see that (+) (the log actually uses square brackets) seems to be for items that were scanned and are OK, (E) seems to be for errors (i.e. files can't be accessed) and (L) seems to show those files that are infected.

I can also see that there are error/result numbers, e.g. '(E) Compressed file is too big to be processed' has an error number of 42057. Is there a list of these numbers?

I am asking as I am trying to interpret a very large log file (I had show OK items turned on) by using an automatic search function in UltraEdit so want to know what filters to use. I had the show OK items turned on as Windows (XP SP3) froze on me twice when running a full scan. I think there may have been a clash with Microsoft ActiveSync (wcescomm.exe) as that is where one scan froze, i.e. the last entry in the log file...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZDPNDIS5.SYS (+) is OK
Disk C: Boot Record (+) is OK
Disk J: Boot Record (+) is OK
Disk K: Boot Record (+) is OK
Disk L: Boot Record (+) is OK
Disk 0 Master Boot Record (+) is OK
Process 4136 (raid_tool.exe), memory block 0x0000000000010000, block size 4096 (+) is OK
Process 4508 (ccc.exe), memory block 0x000000007FFE0000, block size 4096 (+) is OK
Process 4700 (wcescomm.exe), memory block 0x0000000000010000, block size 4096 (+) is OK
Process 4700 (wcescomm.exe), memory block 0x000000007CBD6000, block size 24576 (+) is OK

Are there any known issues with ActiiveSync?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
   Stu.

Adam Riley

Hi sh2811,

Thanks for the question; taken from a previous posting:

(number) - is either standard windows error code (http://help.netop.com/support/errorcodes/win32_error_codes.htm)
or avast error code (which starts with 42000: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=5719.0)

[E] means error (including error number)
[L] infected

Hope this helps,

Best,
Adam

sh2811

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info.
So are the codes within the square brackets just limited to E, L and +?

Have you any ideas about the system freezes I have had. Is there a known clash with ActiveSync?

Thanks again.
Stu.

Adam Riley

Hi Stu,

So are the codes within the square brackets just limited to E, L and +?

Thats correct

Have you any ideas about the system freezes I have had. Is there a known clash with ActiveSync?

There should be no problem using ActiveSync with avast; however please see this link which may be of help:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=298

Best,
Adam

sh2811

Thanks again Adam.

Will run some more scans and see if & when it freezes again. Haven't played with it much so not sure what happened. It runs a full scan in safe mode without problems so there must be a clash somewhere. I may be back!

Stu.