Author Topic: Help! Avast cannot connect to the server to update!  (Read 36376 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help! Avast cannot connect to the server to update!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
Will Avast 5 solve this issue in a future version (if Avast 4.8 can update, then it's not an Ashampoo issue) or should I get rid of Avast 5?

There are numerous such examples in the forums that Ashampoo is blocking the avast.setup (updates) and once uninstalled and replaced by another firewall it miraculously works.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

icardoth

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
Did you test removing avast entries of Ashampoo program list, boot, allow avast access again?

I just did it. No luck. Both Automatic and manual updates fail. Message is "can't connect to download738.avast.com (208.43.71.131:80) or something like that. Please consider I'm translating this message from mi Spanish language Avast.

Program updates also fail, but work from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast -> Update

Virus definitions updates only work by manually downloading vpsupd.exe.

I'm using Windows XP, Avast 5.0.594 and Ashampoo Firewall 1.20.

Thanks

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61085.0 thread has 102 posts.  It took quite a while before the OP finally was convinced to uninstall AShampoo and use another firewall.  I wonder how many posts it will take this time. ::)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

icardoth

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61085.0 thread has 102 posts.  It took quite a while before the OP finally was convinced to uninstall AShampoo and use another firewall.  I wonder how many posts it will take this time. ::)
It's a matter of choice. What I want to keep? A not-fully tested release of Avast or my well known firewall? Should I change to Comodo firewall or to AVG or Avira?  8)

Avast developer team should take this in consideration and go back whatever they do to the update module, as it was in v4.8.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »

Some prefer the long/hard way... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:41 PM »
but work from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast -> Update
The same process is invoked in all these situations... Strange behavior that works sometimes and fails in others.
Please, upload (attach) the avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
(or the shorter C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log).

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

icardoth

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

Thanks, I'm attaching what I think is the relevant part of a big file (4500 lines).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
server.def couldn't be downloaded.

Please, check:

1. Your subscription (license) status.
2. The system time and date.
3. If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect. Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.
4. Check your proxy settings into avast!: Settings > Updates > Proxy Settings. Try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy".

0x20000004 error is a "proxy down" error, i.e., server unreachable (or, in other words, "cannot connect to the updating server"). Is there any other Firewall installed on the machine besides Windows own firewall? Have you had any previous anti-virus program installed on this computer before installing avast? The last way is check your hosts file to see if there are any entries that could be blocking avast's update servers. A blank "default" configuration of the windows hosts file should basically have only one entry (127.0.0.1 localhost).

icardoth

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm answering your part by part:

Please, check:

1. Your subscription (license) status.
2. The system time and date.
3. If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect. Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.
4. Check your proxy settings into avast!: Settings > Updates > Proxy Settings. Try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy".

1. Avast 4.8 was activated up to November 2010 before upgrading to 5.0. No problems with that.
2. My system synchronizes itself to clock.psu.edu every time I reboot.
3. Yes, I've had more than one entry for it. I tried removing all of them and allowing Avast full Internet access when prompted. Didn't work.
4. Already done. No luck.

0x20000004 error is a "proxy down" error, i.e., server unreachable (or, in other words, "cannot connect to the updating server"). Is there any other Firewall installed on the machine besides Windows own firewall? Have you had any previous anti-virus program installed on this computer before installing avast? The last way is check your hosts file to see if there are any entries that could be blocking avast's update servers. A blank "default" configuration of the windows hosts file should basically have only one entry (127.0.0.1 localhost).

Yes, I've had Ashampoo Firewall 1.20. No prevoous Antivirus (besides Avast 4.8) Avast has been my only antivirus for many years. My hosts file only has the localhost entry.

Now I've removed Ashampoo Firewall and replaced it with PCTools FW. Avast is updating now, but I wonder why can't I use Ashampoo as firewall.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
but I wonder why can't I use Ashampoo as firewall
You're not alone. There are A LOT of Ashampoo users with the same problem.
I think Ashampoo team should take a look on this. I don't think the problem is avast related (as it works with all other firewalls).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »
Now I've removed Ashampoo Firewall and replaced it with PCTools FW. Avast is updating now, but I wonder why can't I use Ashampoo as firewall.
Thanks

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61083.msg517151#msg517151
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

icardoth

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Thanks

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61083.msg517151#msg517151
asyn

There's a known bug in Ashampoo that prevents the popups from being displayed for services that don't have the "Interact with desktop" flag set (such as the avast service).

Interesting. Then I'd could manually add full access to whatever Avast process need it. I already tried it with AvastSvc.exe, and still no updates. Is there any other process involved?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
Interesting. Then I'd could manually add full access to whatever Avast process need it. I already tried it with AvastSvc.exe, and still no updates. Is there any other process involved?

Interesting, that you try to tweak it..!! ;D
avast.setup is also involved...
Good luck,
asyn

icardoth

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »

avast.setup is also involved...

Couldn't find avast.setup as a file, and as you've have said, it does not trigger Ashampoo FW.  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 03:24:02 AM »
avast.setup is only created at the time of the update and is located in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup (XP Pro users) folder when created. So you could try manually creating an entry for it in ashampoo.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security