Author Topic: System Image Backup, What do you suggest?  (Read 10717 times)

StelRV

System Image Backup, What do you suggest?
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:22:47 AM »
Hi,
would some of you share your tips for system backup I'd like something that might not conflict wit AIS

I made Windows 7 system image back-up with 2DVDS ( DVD+R) but the restore test fail; then I read you need DVD RW. Has anyone have success with W7?

I read mixed reports about using DVDs or External HD booting problem and restore the " boot CD" option" 

I'd like to be be able to restore in case of a virus, drive crash\boot problem etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestion

Eric March

Re: System Image Backup, What do you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »
 :o
I do understand right - you pan to back up an entire system on DVDs?

Which tool do you use for this? You can not simply copy all the files which ›are‹ the OS, you need the ability to boot up after restoration, and, much more, WIN refuses to simply copy files-in-use (especially the registry).

And how small is your W7 that it fits on 2 (two) DVDs..? (Assuming 4.7 DVDs).
By the way, it is irrelevant if the DVD is re-writeable or not (except the point you can use then next run again).

silviucc

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
Just buy and external USB HDD. 640GB should give you plenty of space for backups as long as you do not keep everything on the C drive.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
Your system has it's own backup, but I'm assuming you want something else in case of a major system failure if I understand correctly.  You could try something like Acronis_True_Image_Home_PC_Backup_&_Recovery or EASEUS, but I'm sure you will find others doing a search. 

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
When I upgraded my Windows 7 system I purchased a 360GB hard drive to put it on and now have the old 160GB hard drive for backup purposes. 

I created a bootable DVD CD thankfully I have not had to use yet. 

Read more:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/backup-and-restore.aspx

StelRV

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »
When I upgraded my Windows 7 system I purchased a 360GB hard drive to put it on and now have the old 160GB hard drive for backup purposes.  

I created a bootable DVD CD thankfully I have not had to use yet.  

Read more:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/backup-and-restore.aspx

I'd like to do that. Would an external HD backup work if system failue? like that boot from F8? I would like to know if you used windows 7 own image restore wizard and Did you have to disable something in Avast? the steps to do the restore.

I created the DVDs  using the Windows 7 own tool but I decided to tested and sure enough it did not boot from the DVD so what good is that in case of a system failure. so it might be a good idea to test it :-\  Please let me know

I read in another post and Acronis seems to work with Avast,    Avast topic:  (Avast! 5.0.221 blocks Acronis Image Mounting)

Does Acronis give you the bootable CD option?

It's DVD a real MUST if your drive need formatting (for whatever reason)? or Would I be able to boot using F8 if the restore image was saved to an external HD? Someone told me and external HD restore wouldn't work if you have to boot from F8. someone also comments this in this article

htp://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10469489-68 Cnet article Free backup utility outshines Windows 7's built-in disk imager
I read pros and cons about EASEUS and other tools but I wanted to know from someone who has used having also Avast installed.

We have 3 PCs at home and recently install Windows 7 and we did not want to have to reinstall drivers, program etc again if something happen, we just want to have a backup other than the Windows own backup.

I appreciate all of your answers

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:22:53 PM by StelRV »

StelRV

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
:o
I do understand right - you pan to back up an entire system on DVDs.

And how small is your W7 that it fits on 2 (two) DVDs..? (Assuming 4.7 DVDs).
By the way, it is irrelevant if the DVD is re-writeable or not (except the point you can use then next run again).

Windows did it in 2 DVDs

I read a lost of people saying they tested after and it would work with the DVDr
Perhaps because windows refformating prior to creating the backup image

Thanks

Pedro Hin

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
My 3 favorite systems for full HDD backup which will allow bare metal recovery are AcronisTrue Image, Easeus TODO Backup (free, but few features), and Macrium Reflect (has a free version very similar to Easeus).

All 3 of these can be run from within MS-Windows.

The key to being able to restore is to create a bootable rescue CD from whichever backup system you decide to use.

Personally, I use Acronis True Image. It automatically backs up my system daily at 03:00 to a secondary drive which contains nothing but Acronis backups. I have it configured to send me an email every day when it is complete.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
@ Pedro Hin

The OP StelRV is asking about Windows 7 backup.

@ StelRV

Do you mean: ???
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10469489-68.html?tag=mncol

If you have a system failure then the system probably will not boot up.

The DVD CDs I created do boot up as I checked them.

Read user comments about Easeus Todo Backup:
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup/3000-2242_4-10964460.html#rateit

StelRV

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
@ Pedro Hin

The OP StelRV is asking about Windows 7 backup.

@ StelRV

Do you mean: ???
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10469489-68.html?tag=mncol

If you have a system failure then the system probably will not boot up.

The DVD CDs I created do boot up as I checked them.

Did you use Acronis? IF so Do I need to disable anything in Avas IS?

I meant if system crash and booting up from DVD or media is possible.

By the way, Yes that was the link.

I did read the other comments and Easeus donsen't seem to work with Windows 7. Thanks

Pedro,

Thanks for the tips
I might try Windows 7 with DVD+RW I'll let you know if it works and if it doesn't work I think I'll try Acronis

Thank you all

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »
Did you use Acronis?
Not on Windows 7
IF so Do I need to disable anything in Avas IS?
I do not use avast! IS

By the way Acronis costs $29.99USD and seems to update every year needing more $$$ every time.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

As I only Upgrade on my XP Pro system costs quite a bit less.

I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information if you like.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:01:41 PM by YoKenny »

StelRV

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »
Did you use Acronis?
Not on Windows 7
IF so Do I need to disable anything in Avas IS?
I do not use avast! IS

By the way Acronis costs $29.99USD and seems to update every year needing more $$$ every time.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information if you like

OK so I understand you use windows 7 own system image tool for your backup, you saved in a  external HD and also created bootable DVDs that seem to work.

I will try that again using Windows 7 image tool maybe with a different brand DVDs and external HD
I do not want to be paying every year for Acronis. What if I download the trial version and at least make the backup Dvds? they might work  ;D

I added my signature - Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
What if I download the trial version and at least make the backup Dvds? 

I may make backups but would be useless.

An external HD would be good as I have one as well but don't use it much as I have backup HDs in both systems.

timcan

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »
@ StelRV
If your hard drive is a western digital you can get a free version of acronis for free.
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

If it's a seagate you can get diskwizard for free.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

hope this helps

robinb

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »
I have used windows 7 system image backup on an external HD with no problems.  In fact 2 months ago i actually had to do a restore. I also made the dvd restore disk. I started up my laptop and found it said it could not find the HD which seemed to have died.  Since it is still under a service contract with Dell they sent me a new one.  I had Vista home premium on this system and upgraded it to Windows 7 home premium and it would have been horrible because i would have had to put on vista first then re do the upgrade which i really did not want to do since i needed a bunch of drivers for windows 7.  I put in the new HD, inserted the restore DVD and attached the external WD hd.  Within 1 hour I was back up and running windows 7 with no problems.

The only thing you cannot do is make a new system image on the external HD without putting it in a totally separate folder because it will replace the old one if you do not.  Also you cannot make a system image on your C drive or a partition on your C Drive.
this is a good site for how to do it- also if you become a member they will help you do it

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

robin