Author Topic: System Image Backup, What do you suggest?  (Read 10767 times)

disPlay

Re: System Image Backup, What do you suggest?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 03:30:59 AM »
For free I really like Macrium Reflect Free. I used in the past, and no problems with it.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 04:44:28 AM »
Call me old fashioned :-[ but when all else fails, for me the most reliable full backup, and fastest full recovery, is still Norton Ghost booted from a floppy disc. I regularly make a full clone to another HDD - it takes a couple of hours (unattended) - but recovery, if needed, is instantaneous! 8)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:54:33 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

StelRV

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 04:47:02 AM »
I had Vista home premium on this system and upgraded it to Windows 7 home premium and it would have been horrible because i would have had to put on vista first then re do the upgrade which i really did not want to do since i needed a bunch of drivers for windows 7.  I put in the new HD, inserted the restore DVD and attached the external WD hd.  Within 1 hour I was back up and running windows 7 with no problems

Yes back to vista and redoing Windows 7 is what I want to avoid as in the case of upgrades since I also have 3 pcs upgraded to W7 and especially the older model took more work finding drivers and making some older programs work with W7.
I'm glad to know that even with a new HD you are able to restore from the image.
I'd like to know what type of DVD you use to save the restore I used Sony and did not work I read taht it seems Windows is picky about the DVD used. So I'll try a different one. Thanks for the Info

RnfromTn
Thanks for the Info It helps when selecting which one to buy ;)

Thank you all,  I'll have to try making my system backup again this week end

All these tips are very helpful

StelRV

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 04:54:37 AM »
Vladimyr,

Norton Ghost booted from a floppy disc?

My old laptop has floppy, Interesting and something to consider Norton Ghost even though the name Norton is scary enough let alone coupled with Ghost  ;D  ;D

Thanks for the suggestion

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
Norton Ghost booted from a floppy disc?
My old laptop has floppy, Interesting and something to consider Norton Ghost even though the name Norton is scary enough let alone coupled with Ghost.
I like your comments.  ;D 

Yes it is.  However Norton is made by Symantec, which you may want to research.  Symantec products are nasty to remove from your system and often leave remnants.  Ghost is sold alone, but often bundled with other products like other security software, so you need to be careful you don't get anything that will conflict with Avast.

StelRV

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
... you need to be careful you don't get anything that will conflict with Avast.

Yes, you are right

I'm trying to backup my system for prevention but I would research that what I install is tested to work with Avast! and Windows 7
Otherwise the cure might be worse than the disease  ;D

Thanks for the advice  ;)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:29:36 AM by StelRV »