Author Topic: Avast blocking POP access to GMail  (Read 3133 times)

skilleter

Avast blocking POP access to GMail
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
Hi,

I've had Avast and Thunderbird 3 working together happily and receiving email from GMail via POP for many months, with Avast configured to do the SSL side of things.

About 2 or 3 days ago it stopped working. Thunderbird said it was connecting to GMail, but would time out every time.

After a bit of fiddling, I've discovered that I reconfigure Thunderbird to use SSL on port 995, rather than no security and port 110, it all works again and Avast doesn't complain about mail traffic bypassing it, which it did when I first installed it, even though the box to warn about unprotected SSL connections is ticked.

Any idea why it has suddenly broken and whether it is fixable? - Also I guess I'm now downloading emails without Avast doing a virus-check in the middle, which concerns me.

John

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast blocking POP access to GMail
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
Also I guess I'm now downloading emails without Avast doing a virus-check in the middle, which concerns me.
The Gmail team have already done that for you. Gmail scan all mail accounts with two virus scanners McAfee and Authentium.....
so when you have avast scan it you have trippel scanning.....

sorry can`t answer the rest.....