Author Topic: Avast 5 won't work- side by side configuration  (Read 30342 times)

nonotnyet

Re: Avast 5 won't work- side by side configuration
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 07:47:31 AM »
Do you have the C++2005 redistributable installed?

Are you trying to install the C++2008 SP1 redistibutable? You may have to install just the regular one before you can install the SP1 which is an update.

i've installed SP2 already. and i don't have the C++2005 redistibutable.

Dch48

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 08:03:24 AM »
I don't mean the SP1 for Vista, there is an SP1 for the C++2008 package which is a security update. If you're trying to install that without having installed the original package, it may not work. You will see SP1 in the file name if it is that one. (I don't know if you need the 2005 package but most people do have that installed as well.)

If you don't have the SP1 file and have the regular one I found some forums where others were having the same or similar problems installing C++ and some of them solved it in these two ways. First try running chkdsk and set it to automatically fix errors. If you still can't install C++ afterwards then use the Microsoft Installer clean up tool. I uploaded it to a site and here's the link to get it.

http://www.adrive.com/public/e9e3952929237d21fe5d2b50d7d45c855955e4181fac1a6b84a13ce1b834a605.html

nonotnyet

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 08:08:58 AM »
I don't mean the SP1 for Vista, there is an SP1 for the C++2008 package which is a security update. If you're trying to install that without having installed the original package, it may not work. You will see SP1 in the file name if it is that one. (I don't know if you need the 2005 package but most people do have that installed as well.)

If you don't have the SP1 file and have the regular one I found some forums where others were having the same or similar problems installing C++ and some of them solved it in these two ways. First try running chkdsk and set it to automatically fix errors. If you still can't install C++ afterwards then use the Microsoft Installer clean up tool. I uploaded it to a site and here's the link to get it.

http://www.adrive.com/public/e9e3952929237d21fe5d2b50d7d45c855955e4181fac1a6b84a13ce1b834a605.html

i'll try that.... cross fingers.

nonotnyet

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »

okay, now how do i use this tool???

Dch48

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
You might have to do a Google search for that answer. I only saw the tool recommended on another forum about a similar problem to yours. I have never used it myself. Checkdsk didn't do any good I guess?

nonotnyet

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2010, 03:12:37 AM »
You might have to do a Google search for that answer. I only saw the tool recommended on another forum about a similar problem to yours. I have never used it myself. Checkdsk didn't do any good I guess?

i don't know what to do after typing in checkdsk... there's a little flash like a window opens, but it's only there for a split second.

cadremis

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2010, 03:41:13 AM »
I've seen this problem 4 times already in Windows Vista 64 bits.... and the only way I've been able to install Avast 5 is to update Windows Vista to the last service pack availiable after that, the problem is gone...

rm

Dch48

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »

i don't know what to do after typing in checkdsk... there's a little flash like a window opens, but it's only there for a split second.
If you're typing it in, I think you have to type Chkdsk c: \f. The better way to do it is to find it in your system tools.

I found instructions for using it in Vista.

Access Chkdsk Through Windows Explorer
•Step 1
Place your mouse over the "Start" button and right-click to invoke a set of menu options. Click on "Explore" to open the Explore file management system.

•Step 2
Select the hard drive letter for which you want to run the Chkdsk utility. Right-click on the driver letter to invoke a set of menu options and select "Properties."

•Step 3
Click on the "Tools" tab in the "Properties" window. Under the "Error-Checking" section of the window, click the "Check Now" button. If you have User Account Controls enabled, a window will pop up asking permission to continue. Click "Continue."

•Step 4
Decide if you want Chkdsk to "Automatically fix file system errors" and to "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors," and click "Start."

•Step 5
Chkdsk will not run if your Windows Vista computer is in use, therefore it will request you to schedule Chkdsk. If you click "Schedule Check Disk," it will run the next time you boot your computer before Windows is actually loaded. Turn off the computer and then turn it back on. At that point Chkdsk will run

If you still can't install the C++ package after that, you'll probably need to run the Installer Cleanup tool. From what I read about that, it gives you a list of what is  or has been installed with the windows installer and lets you choose which ones to remove. Even though you have uninstalled C++ by the normal means there may still be registry entries for the installer that are preventing you from installing it again. In essence, they may be telling the machine that it is still installed.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:02:59 AM by Dch48 »

nonotnyet

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »
I've seen this problem 4 times already in Windows Vista 64 bits.... and the only way I've been able to install Avast 5 is to update Windows Vista to the last service pack availiable after that, the problem is gone...

rm

i've already installed the latest SP pack (SP2 for vista, unless there's a SP3 for vista i'm unaware of...)

Dch48

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2010, 06:33:53 AM »
No--SP2 is the latest.