Author Topic: Avast VS Hackers  (Read 6834 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Avast VS Hackers
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »
I have just been re-directed to a hackers website and when I tried to look at the source code a message came up stating that because I was trying to steal his code(which i wasn't) I was now going to be hacked. I am not particularly worried about this but now i am just wondering how effective AVAST INTERNET SECURITY really is against Hackers using programs like, SUB7 AND PRORAT??
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:55:41 PM by justinlee »
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Avast VS Hackers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:22 AM »
Hi Justinlee,

Welcome to the forum of avast antivirus,

If we talking about the perfectly, again nobody is perfect and to avoid to be hacked/cracked/defaced please :
1. User should understand and have a good attitude in access any web application or other application
2. User shouldn't to received any e-mail, IM or blog information from unknown user which trying to offers user to others link of website or web server
3. For each organization or corporate should have regulation in terms of accessing or open any applications either by physically blocked by gateway security tools or hardware

And please don't hacked anyone if we don't want to be hacked by others.
Also keep have a good ethical in using internet and other stuff related with WAN or LAN connection.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »
justinlee,

Can you give us some information about your system - OS, (32 or 64-bit)?

What other security software do you have on your system currently and in the past on this machine including firewall?

Have you run any Avast scans?  If so, which ones and was anything put in the Virus Chest or did you get an alert?  If you have a 32-bit machine, please run an Avast Boot-time scan and in your next post report the results.  If anything shows up in the Virus Chest, we need the know the exact name of the malware (exact spelling).  Thank you.

ImWarm

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:27:23 PM »
Avast Internet Security does a great job preventing hackers... It is more focused on inbound attacks. Just don't use the Home zone, it should be set to Work (almost always the correct choice) or Public (maximum protection: if you want to make your computer effectively invisible to others and block all incoming connections)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »
Hi SafeSurf,

I'm using Windows 7 (64-bit)...

1.Using Avast's firewall set to work/medium risk zone.
2.Windows Defender.
3.Rapport web security software, which protects against keyloggers and tells you whether the site you are on is legit. Pretty much like Avast does but just works alongside it(it's very good)!!

In the middle of a full system scan now and so far nothing has come up and i don't expect it to either as i keep my system clean and obviously never click on links in bait emails.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:54:06 PM by justinlee »
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
Avast is good but its not enough to protect or detect malware from your system.

Install Malwarebytes Anti Malware Free. 100% compatible with Avast.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentAux

MBAM purpose is really detecting and removing which antivirus cant detect it.

Btw never ever install 2 Antivirus.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

silviucc

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
@justinlee The way these RATs work (Remote Administration Tools) sub7 and possibly prorat is that, in order to be able to use another computer, they need to have a so called "server" installed/running on said computer. Then they are able to do all kinds of funky things. So, as long as you did not install anything "untrusted" you should be fine. Also, sub7 and backoriffice (nice name eh?) were and I think still are detected by AV software as hacktools.

So, in short if anyone says "Ima gonna hack joo now" and you know that your firewall is up and security apps are up to date, relax, laugh in his face and press the "x" button on the corner of the window.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
justinlee,

Please check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Since you have a 64-bit machine, you are currently unable to do an Avast Boot-time scan, so I'd like you to run this scan for now to see what comes up.  This is a good on-demand scanner to have as a back up.  Thank you.