Author Topic: aswUpdSvc  (Read 1797 times)

TXJerry

aswUpdSvc
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:50:05 AM »
Updated from Avast 4 to Avast 5 sometime ago and now running the latest version of Avast 5.  After running a register cleaner, I found an entry as follows
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswUpdSv which includes the name image path with a value of C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe.  This entry always gives an error because the image path points to a file that I assume was deleted when Avast 4 was uninstalled during the upgrade.  My wife's PC utilizes Avast 5 and the registry does not contain this key. Should this image path be pointed to an Avast 5 location or should it be deleted completely?  Either way, I have not been able to delete or modify this entry and the registry cleaner does not seem to be able to fix this problem either.

Any information would be appreciated. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: aswUpdSvc
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:25 AM »
When does this give the error ?

I don't have that key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswUpdSv either, so I don't believe changing the path to reflect avast5 would make any difference as that file isn't in avast 5.0 it is ashUpd.exe which is used I believe.

I suggest you try a clean reinstall (this download is for the free version of avast, if you don't have that ask):
- Download the latest version of avast free, 5.0.594 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Of course you could have the registry cleaner clear that entry, but I don't know if there might be anything else, so it may be best to go the long route.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TXJerry

Re: aswUpdSvc
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »
Issue resolved - Thanks DavidR.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: aswUpdSvc [Resolved]
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

What option did you choose to resolve it ?
You can click the Modify button to the right of your first post and change the Title, adding [Resolved], etc. it will let people viewing the list of topics know that. As I have done in this post, but that won't carry forward into the main title.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security