Author Topic: Win32:EvilEPL virus - NEED HELP BADLY  (Read 10712 times)

batingting

Win32:EvilEPL virus - NEED HELP BADLY
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
Hello,

I badly needed help to all experts here.

My external hard drive was detected with above virus.
And my avast put it to chest. However, it put the folder in the chest
where my important files are inside. When I checked the chest, the folder
was renamed to foldername.exe. When I tried to restore, avast restore it as foldername.exe,
now I cannot open this folder where my important files were there.

PLEASE help me what to do!!!   ???

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Win32:EvilEPL virus - NEED HELP BADLY
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
welcome to the forum. we need a little more information then that which file did avast detect as win32:evilEPL VIrus?

after restore the file was you sure it was safe to restore and not a malware?

check your system for malware with malwarebytes antimalware

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

install, update, scan and post the result here.

good luck and write back if you need more help.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:00:30 AM by mikaelrask »
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

gonenow

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »
I'm not expert at all, but I work at a university in China and we've had this virus going around for some time. Here's what it does on my system.

It gets on a flash drive and there makes your folders hidden. Then it creates .exe files with the same names as your folders, and gives them an icon identical to a folder icon. So when you look at your files, you see some icons that look like folders and that have names that you recognize, but they are not folders - they are executable files. When Avast moves them to the virus vault it does not move or alter your original folders. They are still in their original place - but they are now Hidden.

The virus, as far as i know, does not delete the original folders - it just makes them hidden. In order to see them again you must change the view options. Create a new folder. Open it and go to Tools-Folder Options. Go to View. You'll see an option to "Show hidden files and folders". Select this and then click the button that applies the option to all files and folders. Your original folders should now be visible, but they'll be dimmed, indicating that they are still Hidden. Right-click on each folder icon - don't open it, just right-click. Select Properties and de-select Hidden.

If you are ever in doubt whether a icon is a real folder or an executable file (virus) disguised as a folder, you can right-click and look for the "Explore" option. Folders will have this option, but files - including .exe files - will not have this option.

Let me know if that helps or not.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:02:40 PM by gonenow »

oren96186

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
Hi Gonenow

I don't know if that helped the other user, but it helped me a lot
thank you, you saved so many hours of working to my wife.
your directions are very clear.

Oren from Israel  ;D