Author Topic: avast just turned off by itself  (Read 3630 times)

TheRedGuy

avast just turned off by itself
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:26:58 AM »
Hi there,

never had any problems with avast before but about an hour ago I just noticed the red x on the avast icon. I clicked on it and it said all the shields were disabled, trying to enable all did nothing. On the main interface I tried to start each shield but it came up with an error I can't remember ( sorry) something about not being able to find......

Anyway, I did a scan with Malwarebytes and superantispyware and all ok. Rebooted the netbook and avast came back ok. Have scanned with it and all seems clear.

Would there be any reason this happened? there was an update not long before this happened. The only thing I can remember doing just before it disabled itself was that I right clicked a downloaded excel file and did a file scan with avast, came up all clear but that is when avast seem to shut off.
Seems to be back to working ok but just concerned it could suddenly switch off.

thanks,

Carl

SafeSurf

Re: avast just turned off by itself
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:40:01 AM »
Can you tell me what version of Avast you have and what product (Free, Pro, AIS)?  Was this a new/clean install or an upgrade?

What is your OS?

What other security software do you have on your machine currently and in the past including AV and firewall (FW) and other software? 

Charles5

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
Hi,

I've got a similar problem. I thought it was a virus I might have caught during a trip to Thailand, but I can't be sure.

I have Avast Internet Security 5.0.462 (the paid version), running on Win XP SP2.

Everyhting was fine until one day, I noticed the X on the Avast icon. When I open Avast now, in the status window, it says that my system is unsecured. I tried the buttons "repair" (not sure of the English word because I'm using the French version which says "rétablir") and "start the program" ("démarrer le programme"), but nothing happened.

Then following some advice from this forum, I went to Add/Delete programs in Windows, found Avast, clicked on modify/delete and then chose "repair". I got: Error processing packages. Please use full update.

Also, my computer can't connect to Internet (and I've got other computers in the house that do, so the problem is with this computer).

I used to have the free version and switched to the paid one, but the new version worked fine for a while.

Thanks for your help,

Charles

Charles5

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Hi again,

Forgot to mention that when I start my computer, it says something like:

"One of the files containing System Registry data had to be restored with a log or a copy. The restoration was successfull."

So something tempered with the registry...

Thanks,

Charles

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
First your copy of AIS is out of date so chasing anything like this on an old version is not time well spent, so you should use the Program Update in the avastUI, Maintenance section.

Does avast start after a period of time (if so how long) or does it require a reboot ?
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Second it is important to say which file was replaced if the details were given in the error message.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:37:17 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security