Author Topic: How do I make Avast Internet Security stop blocking a game?  (Read 26327 times)

MaxDuo

How do I make Avast Internet Security stop blocking a game?
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
Recently I formatted and installed Windows 7 on my computer.  I then installed Avast Internet Security (which on my Vista OS would not work and no one in avast knew how to make it work) which worked fine.  After this I installed League of Legends, did the patches to the most recent version.... and it worked fine.

Another patch came out and it still worked fine.  THen this week it patched again and suddenly I can't connect.  I try everything to fix it, last thing I attempt is to turn off the firewall.... voila!  It works.

So I've gone through Avast making exclusions, and nothing seems to help.  In the Real-Time Shields section I set an exclusion to the entire Riot Games (where League of Legends is stored) folder.  I went to the firewall section and opened up expert settings and set friends... I used an IP I found on the League of Legends support site that it said should have access to my ports.  After this I went to Firewall Application settings and noted that I had all the League of Legends stuff that was listed in it set to have access to all my ports, and for all other connections I set "Auto Decide" (would setting it to Ask help any?). 

And after all of this....... I open League of Legends, click play, enter my log in information.............. And it still is unable to connect.  Yet if I turn off all shields, BAM!  League of Legends opens perfectly fine.  Does anyone have any clue how to fix this?  Is there some other setting I can change to fix this?  I enjoyed when Avast was free so I figured I'd buy it to make a contribution, but I've been pretty unhappy with it since my purchase considering it's original inability to work with my computer and now it's strict refusal to allow a game I play all the time to work.

Adam Riley

Re: How do I make Avast Internet Security stop blocking a game?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
Hi MaxDuo,

The easiest way, is to stop one shield at a time and then try to log in to your game, this way, by process of elimination, we can identify the shield blocking it and add the exclusion in that shield.

Best,
Adam

MaxDuo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
I turned off the firewall only and was able to log into the game... so is there some other exclusion of some sort I need to do or another setting for it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
Whilst I don't use the AIS version, if by stopping the firewall the game loads, I would say it is blocking the connection to the gaming log-on site. So you could try checking the logs and see if it is blocking that connection. If you find it I don't know if you can subsequently add a rule for that game connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaxDuo

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
Just tried that, except when I logged in and it couldn't connect, nothing was put into either the connection or the activity log.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
Sorry that was my only though to tracking down what might be being blocked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaxDuo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:25:57 PM »
Crap, well... anyone else have any ideas?

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
Well im not really expert in the firewall but seen some video that might maybe help.

Did you try to add it on the application tab ? Like add a rule for it so the firewall know it. Or if there are any rule can you delete it and launch the game then the firewall does pop ups something like allow or block ?

I hope this help...

Mr.Agent