Author Topic: Superantispyware- download  (Read 8889 times)

ckiwi

Superantispyware- download
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:20:32 AM »
Hi
I think I had the answer but decided to double check first. I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware-free to my dads Window's XP and I hit something that put the whole files? on his desktop. Can we delete those shortcuts from his desktop and just keep the one SuperAnti, icon, that opens the ? interface or what it is called.lol sorry. We did a quick scan right away and it found 2 Trojan.Agent/Gen-TazeBama[Variant]. 14, Adware.Tracking Cookies and 3 Adware.flash Tracking Cookies. All were sent to quarantine. And his computer is faster already. Also going to download Malwarebytes, but on his Windows XP is different then my Vista, none of the pages we opened, looked familiar to me. (make sence?) I have read that sometimes you get re-directed to other sites. I have Malwarebytes on my Vista and cant remember if I had to fill out a form and give your e-mail address so they could e-mail you a link to Malwarebytes. Thanks for help.

Dch48

Re: Superantispyware- download
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
There should be no form to fill out to get the download for Malwarebytes. Clicking on download free version on malwarebytes.com should take you to CNET Downloads and you get it from there. I would do a full scan of that system ASAP, maybe doing it in safe mode.

I also don't get what you're saying about extra Icons for SAS. I just get the desktop icon and the ones in the programs menu and that's it. If you downloaded the installer to the desktop instead of somewhere else, then yes you can delete that from the desktop.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:33:57 AM by Dch48 »

ckiwi

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:09:08 AM »
Hi Dch48. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Sorry I didn't respond right away as i was checking with my dad as to where we may have saved SASW. Seems, instead of saving it, i ran it, and saved to desktop which put all things in it, onto the desktop. There is maybe 15-20 things? on his desktop. The icon and all the files? Sorry, not computer savvy. SuperAnti is not in his programs, so all is on the desktop. So, I should delete all from his desktop and then use and uninstaller to remove it all. Then download again, and save to desktop. From there, we can open the interface? and do a full scan. (making Superanti, show up in his programs?) As with Malwarebytes, i may have the wrong one on my computer (visa business) I have done many scans and nothing has every showed up. On the ? I went to "about" and the button to click says www.malwarebytes.org. I did find www.malwarebytes.com, cnet. On mine it kept going to FileHippo. I found the site which is cnet that u mentioned. Now, should I uninstall mine and reinstall, after use a uninstaller tool? And then again, download the right Malewarebyte to mine, along with my fathers. Thank you so much. By the way, I have download the newest Avast to my fathers and mine, computers with no problems. Oh, on the .org site, it said "if malware is found using the free one time download, your current anti-virus is not effective".

disPlay

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:31 AM »
Probably you download the malwarebytes from another mirror. If you downloaded it from filehippo no problem. Filehippo is a "trusted" website so no worry.

From what I can see and I understand are you trying to say that you installed SAS (superantispyware) in the desktop?

Simple uninstall the program like you would do with other program and install it again, these time remember to install it in a proper folder, like Program Files etc.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:25 AM »
Well by default SAS should install in the normal Program Files folder even if you saved the installation file to the desktop, you would have to physically change the default location during the installation to get it to install on the desktop.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:18:45 AM »
Well by default SAS should install in the normal Program Files folder even if you saved the installation file to the desktop, you would have to physically change the default location during the installation to get it to install on the desktop.
Yep, but it sounds like that's what he did.

disPlay

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 03:23:39 AM »

Exactly what I taught.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 04:08:42 AM »

Have you ever done that, it is pretty long winded to 'accidentally' change the default location to the Desktop, which when using an explorer like navigation it is buried deep.

Changing it from C:\Program Files to C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop isn't a simple matter. It would require some knowledge of where the desktop location actually is and many wouldn't actually know this. So it isn't actually easy to find much less accidentally and that is the point I was trying to make.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 06:24:12 AM »
I understood your point and I agree.  I just can't see any other way he could have gotten all of the program's files on the desktop.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »

Seems, instead of saving it, i ran it, and saved to desktop which put all things in it, onto the desktop. There is maybe 15-20 things? on his desktop. The icon and all the files? Sorry, not computer savvy. SuperAnti is not in his programs, so all is on the desktop.

Simple uninstall the program like you would do with other program and install it again, these time remember to install it in a proper folder, like Program Files etc.

ckiwi

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »
Hi, sorry I did not get back to you sooner. Oh, the he is a she. On the Windows XP, when I downloaded SAS, instead of saving, I ran it and a box came up as where I wanted it to go? So I clicked on desktop, changing the location from the default? I guess that is how all the program files went to desktop. Well, I uninstalled and re-installed SAS, which put two icon's on the desktop?

I am not sure about the MBAM as it goes to a page that says you get it free if you buy something from the, changing ad's and you need to put your e-mail address on the form so they can send you the free license. Is this correct as I can not remember, from when I downloaded to my computer.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

I am not sure if I should post this in another forum but I did a bootscan (not found with full scan) on my Vista Business and found a Java:Agent-AP [Troj] which was sent to quarantine. This file is on "D" which is a backup file and now my computer is asking to do a backup but cant find the last backup. I am being asked If I want to create a new full backup? Could I do this and then delete all other backups I have? The backups start in 2009-09-26 to 2010-07-17. The one in quarantine is from 2009-09-23, Backupfiles.1.zip, which last changed 2010-07-30? I am confused. Thanks

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
I am not sure about the MBAM as it goes to a page that says you get it free if you buy something from the, changing ad's and you need to put your e-mail address on the form so they can send you the free license. Is this correct as I can not remember, from when I downloaded to my computer.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

What that page is saying is that you can get the full paid version of Malwarebytes for free by going with that ad. If you just click on the download now button, you will get the free version which is all you need and you won't have to enter any information at all.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 01:23:59 AM »
@  ckiwi

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

ckiwi

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »
Would it be the firewall blocking this site from downloading files to the computer? Just noticed on my computer the pop-up saying it was blocking this site. Sorry I missed that part, earlier.

ckiwi

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:23 AM »
Sorry, was trying to download MBAM to a Windows XP, which is my fathers and I am writing to you on my Vista Business. I will add my information as I am wanting advice on the backup file sent to quarantine. Thanks