Author Topic: mail scan  (Read 2973 times)

ronzoil

mail scan
« on: July 28, 2004, 04:30:25 PM »
 8)

i have used avast in the past(old machine) after a few updates i always had trouble with the email.

would not let me send
so question during the set up it ask you what is the email provider,if i do not set one will avast still scan email because it is a file running thru machine?
or will this allow a virus to slip thru

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:mail scan
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 06:15:16 PM »
We will need to know more to be able to try and help.

Please Help us to Help you - User's FAQ - we need more information to be able to help fully. A visit to the - thread will give you a lot of useful advice and an idea of the information needed to Help you fully.

Re read the avast help file 'Setting up the Mail Protection' section. Then run the Mail Protection Wizard again, ensure that your email program is closed first.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ronzoil

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:38:04 PM »
thanks for the info i got the mail working ok

now when it tried= to update i get the message
htt server error 302

the package is broken

running windows xp
256 ram pent 4

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 08:41:10 PM »
I'm not the "mailman" here  ;D so I leave it to others to help you. But I do know other things. 256Mb is very low to run XP. I suggest you put another 256 in it. You can also "strip down" XP from unneeded services. Blackviper has some very nice information on that http://www.blackviper.com/

As long as the mail appliciation safes the mail as file on your HD it should be scanned as long as you have the on-access scanner running. Some mailers safe the file without extension, if yours is one of them, you need to change a setting in Avast
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 08:42:41 PM by Artras »

Negeltu

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 10:52:03 PM »
256mb should be JUST fine.  You need to make sure you have all unneeded services and background processes unloaded.  When running XP on 256mb of RAM you needs to make sure it's on a diet.  :)  I have an Athlon XP 1600+ with 256mb of RAM and XP is running great.