Author Topic: How can I tell if Avast! is scanning Outlook Express emails?  (Read 3860 times)

Algernon

I'm running the Home version of Avast! (which by the way, I am pleased with -- earlier this week our work email server got hammered with the new MyDoom variant and by the time I got home, my home emailbox had numerous infected messages, which Avast! recognized because the virus definitions had been timely updated.)

Anyway, I am using both Outlook (for me) and Outlook Express (for my wife).  It's a long story.

With Outlook, the application startup splash screen shows that the Avast! plugin is installed.

With Outlook Express, there is no such indicator of protection.  How can I tell that Avast! is scanning the incoming and outgoing emails?  

Running Windows XP Professional
Email source = ISP (Roadrunner cable)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:How can I tell if Avast! is scanning Outlook Express emails?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:11:29 PM »
Open the resident protection control window, (select "Details>>" if not already), and check the "Last scanned" item for the Internet Mail provider.

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:12:58 PM »
check your outlook express settings...

pop server should be something like 127.0.0.1

and login name should be something like algernon#pop.mail.com

click on the avast icon in your system tray....you can customize the settings for the internet mail to add a clean note into incoming/outgoing emails...

you should be able to see a mail scanning icon in your system tray when avast is scanning mails.

Algernon

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:21:50 PM »
Thanks igor and shgoh.  I will check tonight when I get home.

I asked the question because not only did the MyDoom virus attack make me skittish, my wife is the one who receives all the glurge emails with attachments.   ::)

By the way, I going to hijack my own thread to brag about the size of my avatar.  Non-existent!  Do I get an Avast! coffee cup or something from the Powers That Be?  :D  (I know it's dangerous for a Newbie to attempt an inside joke, but hey, how else does a Newbie become experienced?)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »
If you haven't enabled clean note in messages. You can check the email headers in OE, select a recent email and look in its properties (CRTL + the F3 key, shortcut), details and you should see something like:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0430-3, 23/07/2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Algernon

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 03:47:59 PM »
Thanks DavidR.  Another excellent tip.  You folks are awesome.

bman

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 05:25:59 PM »
In email provider you can activate "show detailed info on performed action". When avast is scanning email, it will inform you about it.
 ;)