Author Topic: msvc170.dll  (Read 21045 times)

classfour

msvc170.dll
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:51:43 PM »
On execute, I receive the message: msvc170.dll not found.

Is this a windows driver? Or one that Avast is missing on install or fails to install?

Thanks in advance.

WinME, AMD athlon 64 runnning underclocked at 1100mhz for stability (son's computer).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:msvc170.dll
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:59:38 PM »
It is definatly not a Windows or Avast file. Even google has nothing on it. So it is most likely part of spy-/adware. It is very likely that a apllication (harmfull?) tries to load that file. Run msconfig and see what is loading at boot time. Als search the registry for that file and let us know here the result of both.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 11:27:46 PM »
Well, it sounds like a typo - shouldn't it be msvcr70.dll?
That's a common Microsoft library and avast! certainly needs it (and the installer should put it there).
I suggest to try to repair avast! from the Control Panel - Add/Remove programs applet; and if it won't work, download the installer from the web and use it to repair the installation.

johnsdp

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 06:34:42 PM »
I just downloaded home 4 and also cannot get it to start after install. Says a required file "MSVC170.DLL"
failed to load. This is the correct spelling. ran updated SpyBot, AdaWare and CWShredder prior to Avast install.
Was the solution found for this or what should I do to get this AV running to get an update?
Thank you.
Dan
PS this AV was recommended to me by the windowsBBS board.

GMG

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 02:09:31 AM »
I've had the same message related to MSVCI70.dll missing, when trying to install AV 4.  I've tried downloading two separate times.  Received the same message both times when trying to install.  It is spelled MSVCI70.dll.
Can not get past that message, so AV 4 remains uninstalled.
Any ideas?

GMG

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 02:25:25 AM »
Install the Microsoft Visual C runtime and the problem should be solved.

GMG

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 02:26:24 AM »
Just found a reply from Vlk in the "ERRORS WITH MSVCI70.DLL and MFC70.DLL" set of posts.  He says it is a problem with AV 4, and will be fixed.
GMG

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 04:38:48 AM »
GMG,

I also read Vlk's post.  I hope that it will be fixed in the new version.

Eddy was on target with his reply.

The file msvc170.dll is a dynamic link library file used in Microsoft C++ Visual Runtime Library.  It is a valid file that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Support site.  Avast requires this file to function properly and that is why you cannot get it installed.

While waiting for the "new fix in 4.5", I would download the Visual Runtime that Eddy referred to.
Make sure the file is registered.  You can search Microsoft Support for instructions on registering the file.

We will be here if you need additional help.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 04:41:33 AM by Techie101 »

johnsdp

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 04:53:08 AM »
I got an e-mail from VLK and he said to redo the download. I remove the first one and re-downloaded and he was right! works like a charm now! I did however send a message to support about it finding command.com and all the definitions left from panda and lavasoft adaware SE. Also sorry I forgot to mention I'm using win98SE on a pentium 300 clocked to 400 and a 2 gig harddrive with 256m ram used for surfing. It runs as fast as my 56k modem will allow.
PS: I just regained control from an about:blank hijack.
Any suggestions on avast! settings will be appreciated. Dan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 04:57:35 AM »
Settings depend ofcourse on what you (not) want. I suggest to check the help/manual of Avast to see what each setting does and set it accroding to your wishes.

Also have a look at the Avast4.ini options as explained here > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

johnsdp

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 05:00:25 AM »
Thanks Eddy, Do they ever call you "Fast Eddy"?  You replied seconds after my post!
Thanks again,
Dan

techie101

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 05:05:26 AM »
johnsdp,

I usually leave my "module" settings at Normal.  Avast has been very good at detecting "infections' using that level.

As for the scan function, I have my scanner set to Thorough with Archives.  It is a bit slower and takes longer, but is a very complete way of checking the computer.

As for Eddy......
Yes, he is always on top of things!

Nice to have you with us.
Welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 05:06:49 AM by Techie101 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 05:06:35 AM »
4 minutes 27 seconds, damn I was slow again ;D ;D ;D

Anahuac

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 10:02:56 PM »
Hi all,

can somebody save me all the trouble of looking into these C++ library's and tell me where to find the msvc170.dll  file? Google search doesn't get me anywhere, not even at http://www.dll-files.com  :o

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 10:12:20 PM »
Hi all,

can somebody save me all the trouble of looking into these C++ library's and tell me where to find the msvc170.dll  file? Google search doesn't get me anywhere, not even at http://www.dll-files.com  :o

Thanks

Like Igor said, did you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Hope this helps.
Welcome to avast forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.