Author Topic: service availability  (Read 5674 times)

Nimshie29

service availability
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »
Hi Guys,

I got info from Avast to update to the latest version. I tried this but it did not complete.

I them uninstalled Avast using the uninstall tool and installed the full version 5.0.594.
Installation is complete but I get messages saying:

Unsecured
Avast program has been stopped or is in an inconsistent state. Please restart the program to protect your system.

I click on restart and nothing happens except I get the message "Avast not responding".

Anyone else with this problem?

Thank you,

John Smith

SafeSurf

Re: service availability
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:16:45 AM »
Try rebooting your machine and see what happens.

Nimshie29

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:04:38 AM »
Hi SafeSurf and the rest,

Have done that but it makes no difference. I do not want to have to change to a new anti virus after all these years but Avast that wont start is leaving my system unprotected??????????????

Help greatly appreciated,

Nimshie29 (John Smith)

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:36:54 AM »
Hi John,

Can you tell me what your OS, RAM, and what other security software you have on your machine (current and previous) including firewall?

Try to repair your Avast installation.
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this fails to work, then I suggest an uninstall of Avast and CLEAN install[/b] to fix your problems.

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0). 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

Post back with your results.

Nimshie29

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:08:53 AM »
Hi Safe Surf,

Thanks for your reply. I am much relieved. :)
I will do as you have suggested and advise.
Please advise what [/b] means in your 3rd para.

My O/S is Windows XP Pro,service pack 3 (build2600) and RAM is 2048MB.

I will bet back to you with results.

Many thanks,

John Smith
Darwin :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
That [/b] was a typo...disregard.  My fingers were quicker than my brain.  :o

Nimshie29

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »
Hi again Safe Surf,

I forgot to tell you:

I have windows firewall, No Script, windows spywall installed. Recently deleted Spybot and Hijackthis.

Enjoy,
John smith :)

Nimshie29

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:14:45 AM »
Hi Again - sorry ---Firefox browser.

Tks

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
Uninstall windows spywall as this is outdated. 

A more thorough on-demand malware scanner is MBAM:
To check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

After your initial full scan, Quick Scan will do fine....just remember to always do an MBAM update PRIOR to scanning.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for XP firewall (FW), this only provides 1-way protection...not very good.  You need 2-way protection.  I suggest a third-party FW.  Some that have been suggested on the forum as having no conflict with Avast have been PC_Tools_Plus_FW; Online Armor; Comodo w/D+ (meaning no AV); Outpost.  There have been reported problems with Ashampoo and some with ZA.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re Add-on's: NS is good.  You may want to add the following: BetterPrivacy (gets rid of LSO's including Flash); AddBlockPlus to start.  Do this after we fix your problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before I get into other things, let's see if uninstalling windows spywall and checking your system for malware with MBAM fixes your problem.  Please post back.

Nimshie29

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:55:26 AM »
Hi SafeSurf,

Carried out your suggestions and all is well. many thanks. My kids were having similar problems so I can send your advice onto them.

Help greatly appreciated.

Enjoy today,

John Smith ;D ;) :)

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: service availability
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:13:33 AM »
Hi John,

I'm glad everything is working for you.  Please take my other suggestions to improve your security for your machines(s).  Should you have any additional questions, feel free to come back.

Since your initial question is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.   :)