Author Topic: AVAST 4.8 removing Outlook/Exchange mail message body  (Read 7724 times)

ianh64

AVAST 4.8 removing Outlook/Exchange mail message body
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
Just rolled out 4.8 Pro along side Windows 7 Pro and Outlook 2007/Exchange 2010 to a school office replacing their previous 4.8 Pro installation on Win XP and an imap based email system.

Noticed that with outgoing emails, the message body is removed. Checking in outlook sent items, the message body is indeed blank. AVAST 4.8 activates the exchange plugin when Outlook starts.  Everything fine if using outlook web app or active sync on phone so issues tracked down to PC installation. Same across all 3 Windows 7 machines using a combination of user profiles.

Issue tracked down to AVAST Outlook/Exchange scanner. If we untick the scan outgoing messages options, then message body remains intact - this is currently how it has been left but is not ideal as we are not scanning outgoing emails from the PC. Other options were add header to clean messages (made no difference) and scan message body as well as attachments (not tried reverting this back to attachments only once we found not scanning outgoing allowed emails to go through).

Avast is set to auto update so should be running latest version but I cannot be 100% sure. Certainly within the last 2 weeks as this was when AVAST 4.8 was downloaded and used for deployment to the Win 7 PC's. Deployed via silent install option built from one of the Windows 7 machines.

Not at site until Monday but would like to implement permanent fix if solution already available at that visit. Even if its a matter of turning off not scanning outgoing body and being able to enable scanning of outgoing bodies.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST 4.8 removing Outlook/Exchange mail message body
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
Avast is set to auto update so should be running latest version but I cannot be 100% sure.

The latest version is 5.0.594 or do you have to stick with 4.8 for any reason..!?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ianh64

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
Yes. V5 is no good for a managed PC environment. We have 33 licenses. I'm not going to install and configure on 33 separate machines when with V4.8 I can simply roll out a standard configuration under group policy.

V5 can't do silent pre configured installs and the network manager does not work with it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ianh64

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
Still trying to find a solution to AVAST 4.8 not stripping exchange server message bodies without disabling scanning of outgoing mail messages.

AVAST V5 is not an option in our environment as we use things in V4.8 omitted in V5 and ADNM does not work with our server setup without now compromising the live environment - testbed moved to production so we cannot test it anymore.

Spectacle

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
I apologize for even replying because I'm a computer dummy, a real rube, but I was just having strange problems in my e-mail program, Outlook Express. Took a while to find it.

I was thinking for you: have you tried setting up one of the system's computers with Outlook Express e-mail instead of Outlook, to isolate whether it's a System problem, an Avast problem or a Program problem?

ianh64

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
AVAST V4.8 is build Sep 2009 4.8.1368

Performed an update on 3 machines all and responded that this was the latest version. Including my final V4.8 home version - all other of my home machines are using V5 which does not have some of the facilities that V4.8 had that were useful when deploying to multiple PCs in a server environment - hopefully it will one day.

I can confirm that disabling "scan message body as well as attachments" makes no difference. The only way for outgoing mail to be sent intact is to disable outgoing scanning of emails.

Outlook Express is not an option as it will not use the Exchange email scanner so will prove nothing and not allow full excahnge server functionality.

ianh64

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
Support ticket raised.

Herman_verschooten

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »
Is there any news on this? I ran into the same problem this morning.
Windows XP with Outlook 2003 SP3 mailbox on Exchange 2010.

tx,
Herman

ianh64

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
I raised a support call and got told that AVAST Server was not compatible with Exchange 2010. I then told them that I was not running Server and that it was just 4.8 Pro workstation and I am still awaiting the response. I expect it will be the same.

So basically, can't fully use 4.8 and can't use 5 as no way to deploy 30+ machines via group policy. Hopefully the 'summer release' of ADNM is going to be on time to allow use of V5 in a managed environment.

Herman_verschooten

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 08:05:35 PM »
Good god, let's hope they wake up soon.

Herman