Author Topic: Avast 5 won't install  (Read 3667 times)

DoubleDiamond

Avast 5 won't install
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »
Hi hopefully someone will be able to help me

I have run Avast for ages very successfully and always been happy with it. A few days ago it stopped updating - I kept getting error messages that updates were not successful and when I visited the link it kept saying unable to connect. I tried repair and update from the control panel and still no joy, so I decided to uninstall it and reinstall - not one of my wiser decisions it seems!

Now when I try to install I am told that I need to run Windows 2000 service pack 4 or higher - I run Windows XP service pack 3!

I had a horrible virus about a week ago which I thought I had got rid of but am wondering if there is a residue which is causing this?(it was antivir solution pro sent to me via a messenger link - horrible little b***er that took a day of safe mode, scanning and turning the air blue)

Any suggestions on what I can do to resolve this would be most gratefully received. Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5 won't install
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
A clean install might resolve the problem.

- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.594 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that, no add remove entry, etc. start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

It may be worth running some other scans first:
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Also available a portable version of SAS, http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html, no installation required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DoubleDiamond

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »
David

Thank you so much for replying so promptly and so helpfully

I followed all of the recommended steps, and Avast is now back on my system (hoorah!!), but it is still unable to update - I just keep getting error messages every time I try. It seems like a few folk are having this problem but I am not sure what to do to resolve this so any additional advice would be most appreciated

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

What is the full text of the error message ?
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security