Author Topic: BSOD from aswsp.sys  (Read 20332 times)

kpstross

Re: BSOD from aswsp.sys
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 02:00:22 AM »
Dmp files Mini072510-01.dmp and Mini072810-01.dmp have been uploaded to your FTP server.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
Thanks for the dumps.
They indicate that the problem is indeed related to a confirmed issue in the current version of (5.0.594).
The issue has already been fixed in our internal builds, and will be fixed in the next program update (which is scheduled for the end of this month).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kpstross

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
So if I go back to v4.8 in the mean time I should not experience any BSOD crashes?

kpstross

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
I can't seem to get a stable install of XP to load on my machine now (even though all the hardware tests good, and I am loading from scratch with a fresh format).  Can you tell me what the known issue was and what it was doing to crash my PC?

akulaari

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Hello.

I have also been annoyed by BSODs seemingly caused by aswsp.sys -file according to minidump files. However every time I receive this BSOD it is when I'm booting into windows the normal way. BSOD appears just as the desktop shows up (and I think its when avast is being started). When this happened I only could boot into safe mode.

However I did find also out that there was some strange .sys files being added to my windows/system32/drivers directory. Those sys files did not bring anything when googling them (one was named xumsreq.sys). I have then deleted those files (from windows XP installation cd using repair console) and after that I could succesfully boot into windows normally. Anyway this same situation did repeat itself after next reboot and I did go thru the same method again (this time it was different named .sys file which I didn't find any google results about), and got into windows. Later I noticed from minidump files that aswsp.sys was 'the cause'.

EDIT: After booting again into windows normal way I received a warning about aec.sys, which seems to be "Microsoft Acoustic Echo Canceller".

I wonder if these seemingly randomly named sys files are part of this problem or is my PC infested by some strange virus? I have scanned my HDs with 5.0.594 avast and it didnt find anything. If this happens after next boot again I'll downloaded the uninstaller to test if uninstalling avast in safe-mode helps the situation.

I'm running Windows XP sp3 and avast 5.0.594.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:32:58 PM by akulaari »

Niagara

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the dumps.
They indicate that the problem is indeed related to a confirmed issue in the current version of (5.0.594).
The issue has already been fixed in our internal builds, and will be fixed in the next program update (which is scheduled for the end of this month).

Thanks
Vlk

Sorry to bother you, I also got random BSOD with the latest version 5.0.677. I had random BSOD at boot of Windows 7 Ultimate since 2 months.
This morning I un-installed Avast (Free), reboot, then ran the tool to clean the registry.
I downloaded the latest version this morning just before.
Install went fine. After configuration I rebooted the machine. OK
This afternoon after a restart, I got the same BSOD with the same messages posted above.
I use Comodo Firewall 5 (Without Antivirus) No Sandbox and SuperAntiSpyware Version 4.43.1000. (Latest).
What can I do ?
Thanks ;)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
Niagara: please send me (kurtin@avast.com) a couple of latest minidump files from \Windows\Minidump folder. Thanks.

Niagara

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »
Thanks, I will do that asap :)

Niagara

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
Niagara: please send me (kurtin@avast.com) a couple of latest minidump files from \Windows\Minidump folder. Thanks.

Hello,
This morning at boot, I got a new BSOD. The BSOD occur few seconds after the Desktop is loaded, Avast loaded too. Strange, I found into Windows/temp folder a directory named "_avast5". Seems Avast try to update and crash Windows 7. ??
(No error into windows event log viewer)
I'll send two files at the given email address.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
Thanks, we found there was an issue with one of AppV's driver and we've already fixed it in the source code. Please turn Behavior Shield off and turn it back tomorrow, it should help :) because you'll receive patch code in virus database update.

Please let us know if it helps tomorrow.
Thanks.

Niagara

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
Thanks you very much for reply :)

Just a dumb question: What is in French "turn Behavior Shield off", English is not by far my native language and I apologize for that...

I got a new BSOD a boot this morning, hope your solution will solve the problem. ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
Turn Behavior Shield off in French is Comportement hors tour Shield.

Niagara

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
Thanks you, the only word containing "Comportement" into the settings from the left choice, is "Agent actions suspectes" > "L'agent actions suspect surveille les Comportements suspect sur votre ordinateur...."

If I deactive this shield I got a message " Protection residente desactivĂ©e", with mean for me there is no more guard in memory, just manual scan ??

SafeSurf

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »
We basically want you to turn off the Behavior Shield until tomorrow because Avast is putting something in their next virus definitions database so that when you get an update, it will fix your problem....but you have to leave you Behavior Shield off, get the update, then turn the Behavior Shield back on.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

Niagara

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 11:37:45 AM »
Thanks, I will deactivate the resident Guard shield until tomorrow as needed. ;)