Author Topic: I know where you live...  (Read 21759 times)

Hermite15

Re: I know where you live...
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »
And, yes, in case of an emergengy you might want to turn it on again.

...if you're still able to turn it on ???  ;D :D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
GPS has many more functions than just a tool to be used by Ad companies.
I guess if your paranoid enough, it's something to block.
I"ll leave it on and enjoy all the convenient services GPS makes possible.  :)

One function that's definitely a users choice.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Hi bob3160,

Everybody that is aware not only of the benefits, but also of the disadvantages is paranoid in your opinion. Why is someone saying this? So you have to accept all the blessings of modern technology with never a question asked. That is being short-sighted and makes that one can be manipulated into believing almost anything considering the presentation of the benefits is convincing enough.
GPS is an advantage when you say that ad launchers can specify their ads better in relation to your geo-location, it is a big disadvantage for instance when you have to ponder on a way to watch hulu from any location outside of the United States of America, and there the use of it is serving conservative, restrictive and user-unfriendly interests.
So yes you can say GPS is a blessing for this and that and such and so, but also a big disadvantage if you are in the wrong geo-location, so it is in a sense discriminative, and in several cases it is used for this purpose. So there I have to disagree with you without being paranoid but strictly on practical grounds. Furthermore we can discuss whether geo-location was brought in to benefit the browser user or to mainly help vested interests, when I read a message I am "geographically challenged" I do not like that. Why I have to resort to certain intricate methods to circumvent? http://lifehacker.com/5583515/access-hulu-from-outside-the-us-without-a-proxy-server
I have to change my headers to pose being a USA browser, and maybe hulu finds another way to throw another "geographically challenged" message at me as I wonder if they would really appreciate this trick. So what hulu-viewer outside the US needs geo-location? I think I have proven my point here,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:48:28 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »
I think I have proven my point here
Yes you have, to your satisfaction.
I have my own way of looking at ABS and feel it's a blessing not a hindrance.
As I said in my last post, users choice.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

anothermack

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
Just getting back to what was said earlier: I also rarely wear underwear,
brgds
anothermack

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 11:06:33 PM »
Hi anothermack,

I know not how this can be related to GPS, and to bob3160, when you are out in the wilderness GPS is a true blessing,

polonus

modati

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 12:53:24 AM »
A lot of the geo-specific services are that way because of a lot of reasons.  I don't think Hulu wants people in other countries viewing their media for legal reasons.  They don't have international streaming rights for the content on the site.  Same goes with a lot of other media content.  It's that way for a very good reason but everybody loves free stuff no matter what!

http://www.hulu.com/support/article/178063

If it were up to me... I just want to "live off the grid" as much as possible.  Surfing the net can be done with a degree of anonymity and without disclosing personal data.  The whole deal with companies spamming signal broadcasts to try to data-mine personal data etc. is a bit sketchy to me.  Having GPS on in the wilderness is a lot different than a huge van/can apparatus driving by your house and spamming you with signal to see what you are up to and who you are!

So using the GPS in the wilderness is a bonus but buy a separate device for it.  There are a lot of devices made solely for being found in the middle of the frozen tundra :P.  They can also be turned off (GPS disabled) while not in use.  These special devices have an very long battery life.  Finding where someone lives based on a public domain service from a private corporation and being found in the wildness are two different things.  It's like if you buy consumer electronics with GPS in them, not with the intention of being found in the wilderness, you run the risk of having lower amounts of privacy.  Seems like there should be an option there.

However if you are worried about being hurt or your health conditions getting the best of you at the worst time.  You probably don't care people are data-mining your identify and such.  So either way I still think all the personal association with the geo-location on these specific devices should be an option and disclosed up front.... err maybe I should read the fine print :D.  Maybe not I'm to lazy.  To me... I'm not a developer or a electrical engineer by any means.  Shouldn't the GPS just turn on when you dial emergency and not disclose personal data, just your location?  Then something to display what country you are in not emit any personal information?  It seems odd to me that both are intertwined and I can relate to most people's concern about it on here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:03:26 AM by modati »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 05:51:36 AM »

Tell them to come on over. We'll have a western ho down. :)

Hell yeah!  ;D

I prefer a bigger gun, but that's good enough for anyone really.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:54:47 AM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
Hi Modati,

Really appreciate your realistic view on the matter, you are certainly knowing what you're on about. I think a lot of common users do not fully realize in what kind of Big Brother society they wake up every morning. Just scary to know that when you have your mobile phone on you (it is turned off) and you visit the stadium authorities know exactly how many with the same name as you are there in that stadium, you can claim later that it was your brother in law you handed the phone out to for the occasion, but even that can be easily verified to be not true. Now combine that with all the other data smears you leave behind on terminals, machines, cash desks, credit verification, together with all the private data that can come automatically coupled and your portrait on street camera's and even your tone of voice analyzed for compliance (UK situation), you really have nowhere to hide and have become fully and utterly transparent, you only need to be chipped to be "fully owned" for serfdom by Big Brother (it is already in your passport, which data are coupled with your medication data, four of your digits, and sometimes five, and an IT man with the right authorization can have your profile in no time and even scan it out from a couple of metres while your body scan pictures are stored for whatever reason by a private outsource company, on the Internet similar business even more advanced and hidden and loopholed. You do not catch the baddies with all these measures (it was not meant to do so) because they take their precautionary measures (an' leave their phone at home or start to communicate with pigeons and blinking mirrors again), and cybercrime have found places where they are tolerated and nobody reacts to any abuse anyway. So why all the tracking, I think to have you in a situation where only Mao and other Big Rudder men could dream of. Some aspects are good when they are used for good, many aspects are bad where they can be used to be abused and restrictive of freedom and choice,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:07:14 PM by polonus »

YoKenny

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
A lot of the geo-specific services are that way because of a lot of reasons.  I don't think Hulu wants people in other countries viewing their media for legal reasons.  They don't have international streaming rights for the content on the site.  Same goes with a lot of other media content.  It's that way for a very good reason but everybody loves free stuff no matter what!

http://www.hulu.com/support/article/178063

What I see
International (Outside USA)

Hulu is a U.S.-only service at this time. Unfortunately, we don't have international streaming rights for our content. Our intention is to make Hulu's growing content lineup available worldwide as quickly as possible. This requires working with the content owners to clear the rights for each show or film in each specific region. It's a long-term project. We don't have a definite timeline, but we'll continue to work to make it happen.

I don't have a mobile phone so I don't worry.

modati

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »
Polonus it is scary I agree.  You walk into a store, you are instantly scanned and greeted with advertisements and offers.  Imagine getting a speeding ticket speeding by a stoplight because of a chip in your car.  I wouldn't even be surprised if that is already happening (not based on pictures just signals).  There doesn't even need to be humans to cite tickets anymore (look at photos) you can get cited at little cost to them automatically by a machine.  Have the ticket, cut, expedited, stamped and sent with no human interaction.  For the smallest infractions that are accidents (running stop signs/red lights, going 3-5 KPH over the limit).  I doubt it would be as forgiving as a human cop that gives you a warning.

It is only a matter of time before you can walk by a reader in a store, on the road, in the bank or wherever and you are instantly identified.  It would make sense if it were to protect us but it only works in that aspect when we dial 911/emergency.  What about the 99.9% of the other times it's active and being used like you said?  It's data-mining basically nothing more.  If they can track you going into stores and log that and know your age/race/etc.  It's basically helping them determine a more broad target audience than just submitting surveys/hiring people to take them.  It helps marketing and sales aspects of business more than keep us safe.  I think it's great when you need it and are hurt and have to call for help.  Who would of thought the most secure way to pass messages now is on paper.  At least you can burn it after you read it.

It's like you said... it's good sometimes but it's mostly bad.  For that .01% of the time you need it, it is there for you helping you out and you have to be forever grateful for that.  But what about the 99.9% of the time otherwise?  People making money off your good name without your permission as an advertising statistic to help gear towards a more accurate target audience.  There really should be a choice in privacy with these elaborate electronics.  Most people don't know things like this are possible.  If you said it to someone... they would laugh at you like you ere talking about a cheesy Sci-Fi movie/book.  That's the ironic part!  It's getting pretty close now.  If only more people were aware of what the devices they bought were capable of.  You are right... you cannot hide anymore unless you hang a few decades behind in technology.

Hermite15

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 01:51:03 AM »
@ modati: why do you use Windows Live Messenger if you're that worried? >>> all conversations transiting in clear on http ( >>> eavesdropping!  :) ), and obviously fully readable on MS servers ;D (there are solutions, but that's off topic here).

modati

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 02:01:25 AM »
I'm not really sure how to answer that honestly.  I'm sure you realize the difference between a casual conversation and what I was talking about.  They are two different things really.  MSN isn't tied to me personally, my GPS location or anything about me really.  I'm sure they could pay to get my identify from my IP address if they wanted to.  Then again why would they pay money for data when they could buy a cheap electronic device, go read everybody's signal and mine all that data for one flat fee?

I just don't worry about internet conversations.  Detering someone from using MSN per plain text protocols (TCP) would be like deterring someone from using e-mail per plain text protocols (SMTP/POP3).  It's like saying... OH MY GOD!  People can read these posts in plain text!  *looks around for someone over my shoulder* *wipes forehead* phew... nobody there!  Hehe.  So much of the internet is plain text but that wasn't the emphasis of the thingy dingy to begin with.

Just don't divulge any sensitive information and you are fine.  Your information is already accessible many other ways that have existed long before GPS location devices/scanning that we are talking about.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:06:19 AM by modati »

Hermite15

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 02:19:03 AM »
MSN isn't tied to me personally

you must be kidding :D >>> and again, it's not just readable on MS servers, it's also by your ISP as it's transmitted in clear, while a few email solutions, still readable on the providers' servers, are transmitted through ssl.
 I mean you can't be serious, you're talking "big brother" effects on your daily life and you don't mind using internet protocols and messenger clients (yes, yahoo and aim too...) that are completely insecure, and freakin' adware.
 How come that someone as "aware" as you are isn't using safer solutions ??? ;D

ps: your ISP knows where you live right? ;)

I mean it's the same person writing this?

I just don't worry about internet conversations.  Detering someone from using MSN per plain text protocols (TCP) would be like deterring someone from using e-mail per plain text protocols (SMTP/POP3).  It's like saying... OH MY GOD!  People can read these posts in plain text!  *looks around for someone over my shoulder* *wipes forehead* phew... nobody there!  Hehe.  So much of the internet is plain text but that wasn't the emphasis of the thingy dingy to begin with.

and that?  :D

It is only a matter of time before you can walk by a reader in a store, on the road, in the bank or wherever and you are instantly identified.  It would make sense if it were to protect us but it only works in that aspect when we dial 911/emergency.  What about the 99.9% of the other times it's active and being used like you said?  It's data-mining basically nothing more.  If they can track you going into stores and log that and know your age/race/etc.  It's basically helping them determine a more broad target audience than just submitting surveys/hiring people to take them.  It helps marketing and sales aspects of business more than keep us safe.  I think it's great when you need it and are hurt and have to call for help.  Who would of thought the most secure way to pass messages now is on paper.  At least you can burn it after you read it.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:23:01 AM by Logos »

modati

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 02:20:53 AM »
Uhm... did you read the rest of my post?  I clearly said they could pay/get it by my IP address.  I appreciate the knowledge you are trying to drop on me but please read first.  I don't get why you are so adamant on trying to prove me wrong based on another aspect of how your data is kept.  Like I also said in my previous post there are other ways to get your personal data... before all of this even existed.  The geo-location via scanner aspect is completely different than any traditional method available.  Which is why the concern is displayed.  Sheesh.  I don't use the software that they provide sorry.  I use Trillian or did you miss that from the post you are referencing that I said I used MSN?  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:34:46 AM by modati »