Author Topic: Cannot Update  (Read 2258 times)

CADman

Cannot Update
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:36:55 AM »
I recently purchased Internet Security 5.0 and during the installation was infected with the "Antivir Solution Pro" virus. It was either piggybacked with the 5.0 download file, or it was allowed to install between the time that it uninstalled the freeware version and the subscription version was able to set up. I was finally able to get rid of the virus using Malwarebytes, but now I'm unable to update the engine or update the program. The messages I get are: "Downloading file: servers.def.vpx" and "Cannot connect to server".

I've gone into Control Panel and ran the repair (supposedly, successfully).  Still have the same problems.  Are there settings in Internet Explorer that were possibly changed by the virus? Are Malwarebytes and Avast! attempting to block each other?  Any thoughts?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot Update
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:51:47 AM »
Where did you download the setup for AIS?
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

CADman

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:31:26 AM »
I went through the steps you suggested, but still have the same problem.  This time I allowed the updater to run until it stopped.  The message it gave is: "Last encountered error: cannot connect to a902sm.avast.com (209.62.112.210:80)".  I'm open to any other suggestions.  I appreciate your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:06:29 AM »
Well this "Last encountered error: cannot connect to a902sm.avast.com (209.62.112.210:80)" error is commonly associated with firewall blocking of the update. But that is somewhat strange that the avast firewall would block its own update process, however it is worth checking.

Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Do you happen to have another firewall installed other than the windows firewall ?

That's me for the night, just after 4am here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security