Author Topic: Virus Definitions Update in Progress Indicator?  (Read 11145 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Virus Definitions Update in Progress Indicator?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »
It sounds like you're using the AOL desktop.  If you missed the Avast dark green pop-up screen telling you that the update of definitions was done (this window disappears) and you didn't hear the woman's voice telling you the update occurred, I'm suggesting that before you sign of, you can open the Avast GUI and double check to make sure the Summary/Main page in the center of the screen...everything should be in green writing.  If you are out of date, something may appear in red or grayed out indicating that you need to take action.  You can also go to the Maintenance page > Update to confirm the date/time of the update as well and you can force a manual update from there and see the progress bar (if needed).  Additionally, on occasion, an update will attempt to occur and for some reason it doesn't and you may get a maroon colored pop-up telling you that you need to do an update; this is when you may want to try a manual update and if it fails try at a later time.  Does this answer your question?

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 05:12:28 PM »
SafeSurf, I did see the Green Popup and I did hear the woman's voice informing me that my Virus Database had been updated.  However, that's not to what I was referring.

Let me clarify.  Okay, on avast 4.8, whenever a Virus Database Update started ... a static Icon would appear down in the System Tray simulating a Red Arrow and a Green Arrow rotating, provided you had the Setting enabled for this indication to appear.  The Red Arrow / Green Arrow Icon would remain in the System Tray while the Virus Database Update was in Progress.  I personally found this function / perk extremely helpful.  WHY?  Because since I have Dial Up, the indication of a Virus Database Update in Progress gave me the option to either stop what I was doing and let the Update run its course more quickly ... or I could continue what I was doing, but I'd at least know that any sluggishness going on was for sure due to a Virus Database Update being in progress.

Now with avast 5.0 we don't have that extremely helpful function / perk.
Oh sure, upon Booting Up my computer every morning, the odds are that a Virus Database Update IS going to take place.  But, after that initial Update, I won't have any solid indication of a Virus Database Update in Progress with any subsequent Updates in the day.  About all I'll be able to do with the subsequent Updates is to be on the lookout for the Hard Drive Activity LED suddenly getting a solid workout.  Of course, what's to say that that Hard Drive Activity LED getting a workout, which I'll be thinking is probably a Virus Database Update ... is actually a Virus engaging in some nefarious, unauthorized activity in my computer?

See what I'm saying?  If I'm suddenly seeing a heavy duty Hard Drive churning fest and I'm really not doing anything to warrant it, I won't know for sure at that instant the reason for that mysterious Hard Drive churning.  And remember; I'm on Dial Up.  So, that mysterious Hard Drive churning can last for minutes.

I'd prefer NOT to have to resort to, "Well, I'll just wait for the Hard Drive churning to hopefully eventually stop ... AND hopefully be followed by the avast Green Popup and voice indication informing me that a Virus Database Update just finished taking place."

It would so be a very welcome peace of mind to have that Virus Database Update in Progress Indicator like 4.8 so that I could immediately know that any Hard Drive churning fests ARE due to an Update in Progress.  I don't like the idea of watching my Hard Drive churning away for MINUTES without knowing why.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »
Actually, I have to agree with Chim on his main point ... in fact I think I'd posted something in the wish-list, shortly after upgrading from 4.8 to 5, about hoping they'd bring back that red/green update-in-progress icon.  I can't remember whether updating still runs on a relatively low priority as it did in 4.8, but it definitely does make a noticeable difference in slowing down other computer functions, particularly with a relatively low-RAM system like mine, even with a broadband connection.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
I haven't missed it since switching, as I said I haven't experienced a problem of trying to disconnect when an update is in progress based on my settings that I have mentioned above (delaying the update check and lowering the update interval).

My virus database has just updated right now (release time UK local, 07/08/2010 17:58), 11 minutes after connecting as my last update check was greater than the 2 hour interval I set. It does run on a low priority as it dis with 4.8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »
I understand now Chim what you are talking about.  I really don't see Avast adding a feature to assist with this, but you can mention it in the Wishlist.  I, like David, also just got used to it.  I haven't had problems with it either. 

Do you have other things going on at Start Up or delayed Start Up?  I've also prevented a lot of AOL graphics and add-on's, which will greatly slow you down, especially on dial-up.  If you haven't done this, you may want to look into that, and don't opt for their automatic updates (just get their notifications and install the ones you need).

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »
I'll just go ahead and toss in my wish in the Wish List and hope for the best.
If we do eventually get that Virus Database Update in Progress Indicator, then GREAT!
If we don't, oh well.   :(

At least I now have that shorter Boot Up time.
Plus, my Full Manual Scans are also now shorter with avast 5.0.
I performed my 1st one on Friday.  With 4.8, my Full Manual Scans used to take around 2 hours.
Friday's Scan with avast 5.0 took only 49 minutes.  And I'm guessing future Manual Scans are supposed to be ... even shorter because of the caching deal?  I must admit that I forgot to turn on that Check for PUPs during the Manual Scan.

Anyway, I was so excited over the huge improvement in Manual Scan time on my Hard Drive that I went ahead and ran a Manual Scan on one of my 2 Flash Drives.  That took about 7 or 9 minutes.  Cool!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:51:19 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Virus Definitions Update in Progress Indicator?
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 07:16:45 AM »
That's good news that you and others (myself included) find improved speed with version 5.0!   :)

Chim, if you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.

Feel free to come back anytime.  ;)