Author Topic: Question for ZoneAlarm 9.2 Free Users  (Read 12576 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Question for ZoneAlarm 9.2 Free Users
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »
what are these better options Tech?
Like David said...
I think Comodo is the best one nowadays. It's free and you can use Defense+ (HIPS) protection.
HIPS could annoy the user with questions. But you can set it in learn mode for a while, use the computer, and then start the safe mode.
The best things in life are free.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
thnx guys  :)
MW

modati

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:17 PM »
ZoneAlarm will bug you with requests for access too.  Plus the access list fills up a lot now (without even asking). I forget what update it was but it was many months ago.  Every program you open, task manager, calculator, desktop manager etc. get added to the access list with a blue ?.  It's kind of annoying I am a bit picky I hate the access list getting cluttered up.  I don't like X'ing out stuff I MAY use in the future either, kinda forced to now unless you clear it out every so often.  I feel like it's letting traffic through... but it's not.  It's just annoying as manually setting permissions everytime.  If you don't check it for a while you may end up with a page and a half of blue question marks.  Probably a better feature but it didn't used to be like that.  Wonder why I'm so picky about trivial things ha.  It does the job though.  Comodo sounds better.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 11:02:45 PM »
ZoneAlarm will bug you with requests for access too.  Plus the access list fills up a lot now (without even asking). I forget what update it was but it was many months ago.  Every program you open, task manager, calculator, desktop manager etc. get added to the access list with a blue ?.  It's kind of annoying I am a bit picky I hate the access list getting cluttered up.  I don't like X'ing out stuff I MAY use in the future either, kinda forced to now unless you clear it out every so often.  I feel like it's letting traffic through... but it's not.  It's just annoying as manually setting permissions everytime.  If you don't check it for a while you may end up with a page and a half of blue question marks.  Probably a better feature but it didn't used to be like that.  Wonder why I'm so picky about trivial things ha.  It does the job though.  Comodo sounds better.

You must have done a custom install, because mine analyzed my programs and decided which ones to automatically allow. I have only got one alert for HostsMan.

Also I don't get a message telling me I should buy the pro version, and I don't have a Forcefield process, so maybe my stepdad downloaded a Pro trial by mistake? Idk.

modati

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 11:36:41 PM »
OH yeah I forgot to mention that part.  I never get an ad for Pro using only free it just starts right on up every time I reboot.  I do when I first install about facebook, ugh puke.  Who cares about ZoneAlarm facebook :|.  I may have done something in the "no don't do anything for me" type of Advanced setup.  They changed something though I'll have to read into it.  But... I'm pretty lazy :)  Good point though I don't think about it.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
@  modati

What does your signature mean ???
(V)0DATi|)]|\_________

Most people put information about their system in the signature like brandonn2010 has.

modati

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:50 AM »
I just think it looks neat.  It just says my user-name with some ASCII attempting to be artistically placed :P

How artistic it actually is... I couldn't say but I enjoy it!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 02:41:45 AM »
OH yeah I forgot to mention that part.  I never get an ad for Pro using only free it just starts right on up every time I reboot.  I do when I first install about facebook, ugh puke.  Who cares about ZoneAlarm facebook :|.  I may have done something in the "no don't do anything for me" type of Advanced setup.  They changed something though I'll have to read into it.  But... I'm pretty lazy :)  Good point though I don't think about it.

I think you chose no to the advanced automated set up.

You need to pay attention during set up.  It's very simple.

I don't think it could be any easier.  You're cheating yourself.

YoKenny

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 02:58:28 AM »
You need to pay attention during set up.  It's very simple.

I don't think it could be any easier.  You're cheating yourself.
+1

Maybe modati suffers from autism ???
n.
A pervasive developmental disorder characterized by severe deficits in social interaction and communication, by an extremely limited range of activities and interests, and often by the presence of repetitive, stereotyped behaviors.
http://www.answers.com/topic/autism

modati

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 03:35:45 AM »
Lol what you think rdmaloyjr and what you reply to are two different things. :P

Since I guess we have to explain everything for you I'll indulge you a bit and ask you start by reading my first post and the response to it.  I did do advanced setup and selected every option that implies "no don't do that for me."  Do you want screenshots of the setup process of the options you have to select and say "no" in the sense that the program isn't doing stuff for you?  It's not installing that I was talking about and it's not about getting alerts.  It's the automatic adding of an entry to the access list with a blue question mark for every process that gets opened.  Sometimes it even adds calc.exe and other processes that would never request access to the internet or my local network.  I hope you understand now.  I'm not cheating myself by any means hehe.

Kenny you are very strange.  No I don't have autism and I'm not sure if I should take that as an insult or not.  It's not polite to go around suggesting people have diseases as such.  Sorry you misunderstood what I said but you could always ask a question to get more info instead of assuming.  I'm sure you all know what assuming does hehe :).  As a Senior Member I will learn from you to not act like you.  Thanks for the advice.

Maybe you two should try reading the previous post I made and the response to it from the original poster.  Which sparked me to post what you are quoting.  If you just read the one post and reply to it like you all did it makes you look foolish.  Since you aren't really getting the whole picture.  Sorry nice try though :) it was amusing nonetheless.  Have a great day guys.

By the way, I like my signature and don't care if it means anything to you Kenny.  Hope that clears up any confusion.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:47:06 AM by modati »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 03:58:23 AM »
I did do advanced setup and selected every option that implies "no don't do that for me."

Your own words show you didn't allow auto configure programs in ZA.

modati

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 04:36:23 AM »
Agreed.  Which is why it's more confusing that it adds them with the blue question mark (no permissions) not configured.  I can't figure it out.  This is a recent update in the past few months it wasn't always like this.

Since you are so eager to prove me wrong or whatever I'll post the installation steps taken...

- Selected option, Custom installation, Uncheck Set my default... Uncheck Install Security Toolbar [Next]
- Uncheck Inform me about product updates... [Next]
- Check I accept... [Install]
- Selected option, Custom installation (advanced) [Next]
- Do not participate in DefenseNet [Next]
- Off... For the SmartDefense option [Next]
- Information screen about fraud protection [Next]
- Selected option, Do not setup my programs [Next]
- [Restart Computer]

I agree that is really easy!!!  Definitely not cheating myself ;).  I still cannot figure out why entries are added, not configured in anyway, with no permissions (blue question mark) at random when they are opened.  Since I chose every option like I said for ZoneAlarm to do nothing for me.  Technically it's not doing anything I just don't like this feature but there is no way to turn it off, which is why I mentioned it!  It didn't use to be like this!  Even if programs aren't accessing any network services it still adds them with no permissions.  It doesn't configure them in anyway.  It just adds to the list with a blue question mark and no permissions... like I keep saying :|

Thanks for your concern rdmaloyjr maybe you can input on the matter.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:39:12 AM by modati »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 10:50:52 AM »
- Selected option, Do not setup my programs [Next]

- Select option, setup my programs [Next]

How many times do I have to tell you to Select option, setup my programs [Next] ???

Uninstall> reinstall http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

-Selected option, Custom installation,Uncheck Set my default... Uncheck Install Security Toolbar [Next]
- Uncheck Inform me about product updates... [Next]
- Check I accept... [Install]
- Selected option, Custom installation (advanced) [Next]
- Do not participate in DefenseNet [Next]
- Off... For the SmartDefense option [Next]
- Information screen about fraud protection [Next]
- Selected option, setup my programs [Next]
- [Restart Computer]

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:04:20 AM by rdmaloyjr »

modati

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
TA for the advice rdmaloyjr.  I tried it... still does the same thing.  It was annoying and I've switched to Comodo.  This thing is really smooth I gotta say!  I love all the options/rules you can place.  So smooth :)  Take it easy!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »
TA for the advice rdmaloyjr.  I tried it... still does the same thing.  It was annoying and I've switched to Comodo.  This thing is really smooth I gotta say!  I love all the options/rules you can place.  So smooth :)  Take it easy!

It was annoying and I've switched to Comodo. 

ZoneAlarm Free is not annoying.  You don't know what you are doing.

I don't know what you are doing.

ZoneAlarm is by far the easiest firewall to set up and use.

Either you are totally inept or using some other firewall

and mistakenly think it is ZoneAlarm.

No offence intended. 

Possibly you may be working for Comodo. ???