Author Topic: [Resolved] Cannot Update  (Read 7126 times)

cBFR01

[Resolved] Cannot Update
« on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »
I have been using Avast free for over 1 yr on two computers at home and never had a problem
All is fine on Computer 1

On computer 2 - connected by Wifi
I get error message Update failed - When I hit "Update" the connection works and Avast recognises a new file - the screen closes with an OK button which when clicked Gives me a message - My file is obsolete and a bar to update shows up at the top. When I press this I go round in a circle but come back to the same message.
Many Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:44:00 AM by cBFR01 »

SafeSurf

Re: Cannot Update
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
Try on machine #2: GUI > Maintenance > Update and do a manual update.  If this fails, reboot your machine and try this again. 

What firewall and what other security software do you have on this machine?

cBFR01

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:12:26 AM »
I tried the manual updates yesterday switched all off and started again this am Still no luck.

The computer is running Windows XP with no other anti-virus software and the Windows firewall activated.

I was previously away and when I came back yesterday I updated the programme to 5.0.594
The viral base is 100711-1 which is obsolete

Hope this helps

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:27 AM »
What was the previous version of Avast that you had before 5.0.594?

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:18:02 AM »
To clarify -- did you upgrade Avast recently from an older version to 5.0.594?

cBFR01

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »
Yes - I had been away and I gues  I had a version from July - Is there a register that I can see which version I updatede from?
I'm afraid I am not a computer expert

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
Did you have a blue ball on the bottom of your machine or an orange ball before the upgrade?

cBFR01

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
I think it was blue

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
OK...it sounds like you had version 4.8 on your machine.  Your other machine that has no problems had the same version and you also did the upgrade with no problems?

cBFR01

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »
My other machine is fine and it had the same version on it.  However since I do noy use the second computer all the time it is certain that I had updated the first computer for some time without updating the second one. I thought that they  were independant.  Just for your info the first computer uses Windows 7.
I have just looked at the Window7 security screen and it appears I should update with "Smartscreen". which I will now do.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
OK....but machine #2 is the problem now.  

If you open your Avast GUI > Settings (upper right corner) > Updates (2nd down on the left) >

Try the following settings:

- NO PROXY
- PERMANENT CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET.

Now try doing your (manual this time) update.  Let me know if this works.

cBFR01

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
I updated as you said and it did'nt work-

As a precaution I rebooted and waited fot the automatic update to work.  I still get the same error message "Update failed"

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »
Since there have been so many changes from version 4.8 to 5.0.594, I suggest an uninstall of Avast and CLEAN install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0). Since you had 4.0 and 5.0 on your machine, uninstall both.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time; turn off your connection from the Internet.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).  **[See below - CCleaner]
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot twice.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

Please post your results.  Thank you.

**CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.  Remember when installing CCleaner to uncheck the Yahoo toolbar.

I will be signing off, but there are others here to help if needed since this will take a little time.  I will check back with you later.

cBFR01

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
Thanks - I will keep you posted

cBFR01

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
Oh Dear!

I have followed instructions above but at no 5) Boot in Safe Mode - I have a problem.

I arrive on the correct screen but it is frozen - there is no method to move the highlighted instructions (with up and down arrows)  I have to switch computer off and strat again which I have done 3 or 4 times.

1) Is it essential to be in Safe Mode?
2) If Yes is there another way to start a computer in safe-mode?

I have looked on other forums and it would seem likely that the two symptoms - Avast not updating and safe mode disabled could be the result of malware.

I have disconnected Internet and await help from someone

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:04:43 PM by cBFR01 »