Author Topic: [Resolved] Cannot Update  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot Update
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »
Well, it could be done in normal boot.
But you should be able to boot in Safe Mode. That should be another problem that, maybe, another savvy user could take a look in your computer. It's dangerous to use a computer that, for any reason, can't boot in Safe Mode.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
Well, it could be done in normal boot.
But you should be able to boot in Safe Mode. That should be another problem that, maybe, another savvy user could take a look in your computer. It's dangerous to use a computer that, for any reason, can't boot in Safe Mode.
Agreed.  Even though you told me you had no other security software on this machine (#2), I just want to verify that you had no other antivirus or other security software previously installed on it.

Please read this information from your other machine (#1):

Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Follow the directions of obtaining an MBAM log (make sure you update MBAM first) and OTL logs and you can post the MBAM log here (copy and past) and the OTL log as an attachment (Additional Options in the bottom left corner under the message screen when posting).  We can then analyze this in the meantime for any malware, and if any malware is found we will refer you to one of our malware experts.  You can post the MBAM log first, then get back to us with the OTL log.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

cBFR01

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
Thank you for your reply which appeared on page 2 and I had miissed it previously.

I believe I had Norton anti-virus a long time ago.

Unfortunateltly I am travalling away from home this week and will be back next Friday to continue to follow your instructions.  in the mean time I will call a local repairer - I am concerned that this is going to be complicated for a not very computer literate person - I will keep you informed

Again thank you for your help

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »
cBFR01,

We can walk you though the steps when you return.  It's really not that difficult; we have helped beginners before.  Please feel free to ask questions.  Let us know when you return.

cBFR01

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 11:10:27 AM »
I called the person who repairs my Computers and he told me the reason for not starting in Safe Mode was that I had a USB keyboard - not recognised by BIOS.

So I plugged in a keyboard with PS2 plug and Safe mode worked!

So I went back and followed the instructions for a clean install given by SafeSafe.

All worked fine and I am now updating normally.

Once again thank you very much for all your help and comments.  The PS2 issue might be worth noting.
I think I should mark this post as resolved - I am not sure how to do that

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Cannot Update
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
cBFR01,

I'm very happy for you and that things are finally working out for you.  :)

Now that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed.  Thank you.

Please feel free to come back to browse or just for a different experience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.