Author Topic: Mixed emotions on... what is the best free firewall?  (Read 10688 times)

modati

Mixed emotions on... what is the best free firewall?
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »
I know most people would say ZoneAlarm free one.  That's what I have used for some time however I have noticed some functional differences since I started using it.  Not security compromising but not appealing to my compulsive behavior in doing things the same way continuously.  I'm curious to see some valid opinions and not go with my stubborn opinion.  What firewall do people enjoy, how long have you used it and why do you use it over another?  Thanks for the information I am just looking to keep current with what is best.  Have a great day :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Mixed emotions on... what is the best free firewall?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »
The best things in life are free.

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:11:23 AM »
i use comodo firewall ;D, because it is absolutely free, and also it's feature.

modati

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »
Ohh Comodo huh?  Never herd of it but I have been out of the loop for some time hehe.  Two recommendations for it.  I'll have to try that site you posted Tech.  Just out of curiosity what makes Comodo shine over the rest?

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:22:52 AM »
My vote would be for "Online Armor Free" its a personal choice really.

Online Armor & Comodo either is as good as the other.  :)
I7-6700K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 64Bit Pro, Avast Premier Paid, MalwareBytes (Premium) Paid, HitManPro 64bit Paid.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 05:24:16 AM »
The Comodo Firewall can be used with or without the HIPS component it has. With or without the HIPS, it's an excellent, highly configurable two way Firewall and has no compatibility issues with the free Avast!.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
The Comodo Firewall can be used with or without the HIPS component it has. With or without the HIPS, it's an excellent, highly configurable two way Firewall and has no compatibility issues with the free Avast!.

+1 :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
I like ZoneAlarm Free for it's very easy to use, lite on my systems & trouble free.

Back when I was on DSL my modem went bad, Verizon sent me a new one (same model),

but it was pinging and/or responding to pings.  As a result a hacker was trying to break into

my system, I got a pop up alerting me that someone was trying to shutdown ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm held strong!   Just for fun and to confuse the hacker(s) I put in a live MEPIS

Linux CD before I went to bed.  They never came back. ;D

Until your security programs are put to the test you don't know how good they are.

Avast!, WinPatrol and ZoneAlarm have never let me down. :)

Keep your security programs up to date!

ZoneAlarm Free 9.3.014.000 is the newest version.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
Which of the three (Comodo, Online Armour and Zone Alarm) is lighter on the system (eating less RAM and CPU)? And which one is the best to use (meaning no problems) with Avast AV and Sandboxie? Thanx! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »
We can't go by Task Manager to determine who is lighter as a lot "flies under the radar".

We can only go by "seat of the pants feel".

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
I like ZoneAlarm Free for it's very easy to use, lite on my systems & trouble free.

Back when I was on DSL my modem went bad, Verizon sent me a new one (same model),

but it was pinging and/or responding to pings.  As a result a hacker was trying to break into

my system, I got a pop up alerting me that someone was trying to shutdown ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm held strong!   Just for fun and to confuse the hacker(s) I put in a live MEPIS

Linux CD before I went to bed.  They never came back. ;D

Until your security programs are put to the test you don't know how good they are.

Avast!, WinPatrol and ZoneAlarm have never let me down. :)

Keep your security programs up to date!

ZoneAlarm Free 9.3.014.000 is the newest version.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with ZoneAlarm ;D

Borrowed From Jim Croce ;D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrTGE4wwwA

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
I had various problems using all of the free firewalls other than Comodo with Avast!. Zone Alarm was bulky and I didn't like the interface. PCTools had problems with Steam and uTorrent and also caused one hard lockup when opening a program the first time. I had to disable Avast! to let the Firewall create rules. I had the same lockup problems with both Online Armor and Outpost and when I disabled the HIPS of OA, I suddenly lost permissions to my hard drive. It said I had no page file and wouldn't let me create one. It also said I couldn't use system restore and even system info didn't work. I did a Google search and found a post that said to check the security settings for the HD. When I did, I found there was no entry for Administrators or SYSTEM. I had to manually recreate those groups and give them full access to regain full use of my computer.

Johpoke

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »
I have tried/used pretty much all of the firewall listed above. Choosing the right firewall depends on your preferred configuration UI and desired complexity level.

I have been using Sunbelt Personal Firewall ( http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/ ) for more then five years, and it suits me.

It comes in a free for home use version, which looses some features after 30 days (I disable them after installation). It can be used in a "simple mode" but it's the advanced mode that I like.

With the advanced mode you can (as usual) allow/block programs etc. But also create your own rules based on program/protocol/IP/range/port etc. (You can even write your own NIPS (signature based) rules using the SNORT standard)

Try them all, use what suits you.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:08 AM »
If you are looking for a light weight firewall, I would recommend

GhostWall FireWall

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/ghostwall/

It is only 700kb

But you need to know how to define Firewall rules
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:08:14 PM by Chris Thomas »

modati

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
Right on everybody.  Thanks for all the information I may have to try a few of these just for fun anyway.  ZoneAlarm has this weird feature now where whenever a program opens it adds to the access list with a ? no matter if it tries to access the net or not.  That's one thing that confuses me... maybe there is a way to turn it off but it's enough of a reason to make me stop using it.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting how the program functions, which is completely possible.

Dch48 wow sounds like you have had some pretty annoying troubles with other firewalls.  I don't think I'll be using them.  It seems like Comodo is "the best" but maybe that is a cliche amongst communities like this haha.  I'll have to give it a try instead of ZoneAlarm.  Maybe the GUI suits my compulsive desire to be in control of everything.  This new "smart program detection" thing is bugging me on ZoneAlarm.  I have no idea what feature it is or if I'm crazy but I sure don't like it!  LOL @ rdmaloyjr... that was funny.  Chris Thomas, you indirectly helped a user in the virus & worms section on dialup looking for protection/cleaning procedures, thanks for the information everyone.