Author Topic: Mixed emotions on... what is the best free firewall?  (Read 10685 times)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Re: Mixed emotions on... what is the best free firewall?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 11:08:35 PM »
Great!  ;D

modati

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:27 AM »
I've been using Comodo per recommendations here.  It seems to be really solid I like how strict you can set the rules.  It alerts me about even the smallest connections.

Put Alert Settings (Very High)
Predefined Policy (Ask and log any TCP/UDP connection)  <-- Should I just choose the "IP" option it seems to include a lot more protocols.  Not sure if that would cause a huge spam of alerts though.

IT's really smooth!
I set those up for all applications.  I get a lot of alerts but wow I like it!  Really suits my compulsive desire to be in charge of every connection.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Just another question does anybody recommend any ICMP rules?  There are some by default already set I see those as being sufficient.  Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:44:10 AM by modati »

modati

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:04 AM »
Another thing does anybody have a list of all the ports AvastSvc listens/transmits on?  Comodo is showing a healthy group of connection/listens from AvastSvc.exe.  Just curious if someone has already done this :)

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »
Another thing does anybody have a list of all the ports AvastSvc listens/transmits on?  Comodo is showing a healthy group of connection/listens from AvastSvc.exe.  Just curious if someone has already done this :)
I was concerned about it too until it was pointed out that it was the web shield that was causing all those connections and it was normal behavior.

modati

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »
Awesome!  I figured it was part of the resident protection but I appreciate the conformation.  Looks like Avast! is doing quite a bit to protect gotta love that :)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 02:16:00 AM »
I have AIS on three computers but I STILL have Zone Alarm FREE on two computers and don't plan on changing.

I have used ZA ever since I discovered this wonderful world of computing and have had my best luck with it.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 05:57:56 AM »
If it works for you, go with it. No 2 computers are the same due to the multitude of things that can be installed on them and the many configuration options in the OS and the installed applications.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
Modati,

I'm using the latest Comodo Firewall v4.1 and I have no problems at all and no major popup warning message every time I turn on my PC and use it you only get popup message when you first installed Comodo and it does take a bit of time setting it up and how it works, my Comodo security combination are the Firewall, Defence+ and Sandbox along with my free Avast 5 anti-virus there are some people don't like the Comodo Defence+ and Sandbox and they just prefer to used just the two way firewall which is normal I prefer all 3 Comodo security combination with my Avast ;).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:39:38 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
I prefer all 3 Comodo security combination with my Avast ;).
CIS version 5 will add cloud analysis (both on-demand and on-access, the last one with a promised 15 minutes of delay).
You'll have a very good security pack, both policies: the "default allow" of avast antivirus and the "default deny" of Comodo.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 06:13:55 AM »
I prefer all 3 Comodo security combination with my Avast ;).
CIS version 5 will add cloud analysis (both on-demand and on-access, the last one with a promised 15 minutes of delay).
You'll have a very good security pack, both policies: the "default allow" of avast antivirus and the "default deny" of Comodo.
Yeah I don't understand where Comodo is going. First they add a sandbox that was supposed to enhance usability but because it's automatic, actually had the opposite effect and now they're adding cloud scanning which they even freely admit will slow everything down. I just don't get it. I don't think I will ever return to using any more than the basic firewall functions. If I had Windows 7, I wouldn't even use that. I'd go with Avast! and the Windows 7 Firewall.