Author Topic: Avast UI wont start, no prior changes  (Read 22999 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast UI wont start, no prior changes
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »
Please contact avast about your problem.
http://www.avast.com/contacts
Keep us updated. Thanks..!
Good luck..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tavikas

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
contacted.
Awayting for reply...

DMRSosa

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
Hi

I recently had the same problem and solved it so:

1) Run the AVAST Removal Tool in Safe Mode. Then reboot
2) Boot in safe mode again
3) Run Regedit (make backup of windows registry first)
4) Find the string "Avast_UI" and remove all places where found
5) Reboot (again) and reinstall AVAST

I hope you serve. Regards

Dante

kada200

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
I've recently had the exact same problem as the original post of this thread. Avast had been working flawlessly for months, no changes to the system. Then the other morning (it had been working) I uninstalled an old 'Adobe Illustrator' program that was complaining about its internal crap, and after rebooting, AVAST failed to show up in the system tray as normal.  Attempting to start it manually gives me the same error about 'can't start because its' config settings are incorrect.  Tried the repair-no luck. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it works fine. That was yesterday. This morning(AVAST working fine) I uninstalled M$ VisualC 8.0 and then installed .NETFramework 4.0.  After the .NETFramework install and a reboot, Same problem with AVAST again.  :'(  So going thru the motions again to first try to repair AVAST with no luck, uninstalled/reinstalled it to get it to work. Its getting to the point that I  am afraid to install/uninstall anything. I've used AVAST for several years now without a problem, and recommended it to many people. I have seen the exceptional protection it provides over those other stupid AV like Norton or McAffee, but at this point confidence in AVAST's  ability to protect me if all I need to do to screw up its functioning is to install or uninstall a program that may or may not affect it.  I remember not being able to kill AVAST even if you wanted to without special instructions sometimes to get it completely removed from the system.  FYI, i do have spybot installed on my system(for all you that think it seems to be a problem) but havent ran it in probably a couple weeks prior to this problem I have recently had with AVAST.  I may uninstall spybot and give that MBAM a try, not because I think its a problem with AVAST(why should a good AV be affected by other programs-especially just its config settings?) but because I too have grown tired of Spybots pain in the ass hic-ups they've had as of recent.

'Feeling insecure ATM'

tavikas

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
Hi

I recently had the same problem and solved it so:

1) Run the AVAST Removal Tool in Safe Mode. Then reboot
2) Boot in safe mode again
3) Run Regedit (make backup of windows registry first)
4) Find the string "Avast_UI" and remove all places where found
5) Reboot (again) and reinstall AVAST

I hope you serve. Regards

Dante

okay this seems to be something.

I ran regedit when I had Avast installed and again when it was removed.
Both times there were no trace of string "Avast_UI" found in my windows registry. Tho, there are tens or even hundreds replies to string "Avast".

Could it be some Windows registry related error?

kada200

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
Dont know whats going on but after getting AVAST reinstalled a few hours ago and everything working as normal, so I shutdown and come back to PC after a few hours now and the AVAST ball has a '!' on it. Opening its control panel I see that its' Web shield and Mail shield are not activated, and telling me my system isnt fully protected with another button to 'Fix the problem'.  What the hell is going on with AVAST!?  I dont have time to be fiddling with my AV everytime I start my PC.

tavikas

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »
Dont know whats going on but after getting AVAST reinstalled a few hours ago and everything working as normal, so I shutdown and come back to PC after a few hours now and the AVAST ball has a '!' on it. Opening its control panel I see that its' Web shield and Mail shield are not activated, and telling me my system isnt fully protected with another button to 'Fix the problem'.  What the hell is going on with AVAST!?  I dont have time to be fiddling with my AV everytime I start my PC.

well.. I have used Avast for 1.5 years on 3 computers. It happens that sometimes it takes time to be fully protected. But if it stays partly protected for longer time (over 10 minutes) then I have no clue..

tavikas

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
Case update:

I was suggested to perform clean installation of Windows by one of your technicians. Rather than that, I decided to set up multiple instances of same Windows XP on same hard disk (different partition) using product recovery CD provided by local reseller. This was in purpose to test system some more.

On my old windows installation avast starts and even updates, but UI wont start. I do not see any messages about virus database update either, however avast.setup consumes some more system ressources from time to time and while I use uninstall option, the database is always up to date. No feedback tho.
I was suggested to install Security Task Manager from neuber.com by an Associate Professor from Institute of Computer Science of University. This program showed I do have avastUI.exe process running but inactive

I have tried to activate it using third part programs, but they fail without error message.

ON THE OTHER HAND:
As I said I installed new instance of same version of Windows XP operating system on other partition. I also installed most of programs I had installed on old version, including avast. In there avast works 100%. I do have graphical interface and I see notices about updates etc.
I also ran full system scan, including all partitions, and after that complete Boot-Time Scan. They resulted with 5 threats found (4 Trojan's and 1 worm). Those threats were eliminated.
When I retried scans the next day there were no threads found.

At the time I was testing my new installation I had avast removed from old one. When I was sure everything is OK with new one I returned to old one and reinstalled avast once again. Same problems - no feedback.

SUMMARY
Currently I have 2 instances of Windows XP installed on my hard disk, both equipped with latest version of avast! Free antivirus. I have kept both to finally find out what was the cause of inconveniences.
Both windows versions have all latest microsoft updates installed.
All registry keys in regedit.exe (windows registry) that are related to avast have been synchronized and overscanned. No difference found.
Even all services visible in services.msc have exact same startup settings.
Avast background services are working on both versions, but feedback (UI, notices etc.) is only available in old installation.

There is no vital problem for me anymore as we are using new installation these days, but I wanted to let you know that in case any of you would like to assist me find out the cause it is still possible.

PS! the same associate professor I mentioned above suggested me few years ago to use Spybot too. Here I was suggested to remove it from system. As a second opinion, what do you guys say about security task manager from neuber.com that he suggested me now?

(it's a long story, I hope I have kept it read-able)

tavikas

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

along with avast UI failure we had inconveniences installing new programs. After some research we were able to detect problem - Windows Installer switched itself off and needed to be restarted manually. Also I found one day that windows automatic updates service were disabled.

Today a friend of mine pointed me out Conficker worm description: "It may reset and delete system  restore points, disable various services (including WinDefend, BITS, ERSvc (Error Reporting Service) and WerSvc (Windows Error Reporting Service, Vista-only). In a final fit of pique, Conficker.C and .D will prevent any attempt to connect to a variety of antivirus software services."

the description is pretty similar to what I am currently experiencing. I have no clue how to repair it or even detect it. I have ran several well-known antivirus software scanners, none of them have found any threats. But problems persists.
I am using other windows installation on same disk and there are no problems. (both installations are visible to eachothers).

any ideas?

tavikas

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
SOLVED!

I still dont know the cause, but after running Hitman Pro and ComboFix concurrently the system is stable. Access to UI is granted and scan/settings are accessible.

The logs of both programs used are saying nothing detected, but the problem is gone.

Thread closed!