Author Topic: License Q: Can use Avast Home Edition in charity unit lke Church?  (Read 9349 times)

wcbenyip

Hi ALL,

Personally I used Avast Home for free years and found that it's quite good. Does anyone knows whether this free product could be officially install and use in the PCs of Charity Unit like a Church? Please advise, many thanks!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: License Q: Can use Avast Home Edition in charity unit lke Church?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:12:31 AM »
Unfortunately not, it if for Home & non-commercial use (both apply). So even non-profit making organisations/charities, etc. are businesses.

I believe there may be a discount on the Pro version for Charities, etc. but you would have to contact salse (at) avast (dot) com about that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
Because avast! Internet Security is currently 50% discounted at USD $29.97 for 1 year, 3-users, I haven't bothered to ask about discounts for church use.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

wcbenyip

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:43:52 AM »
Thanks all for your kindly rapid reply and info. But I think in the environment of the charity unit and church like us, we would like to keep the money in our pocket if there is any free software could be used.

I am not against avast! here but just want to let anyone who want to have another choice for free, I would go for Comodo Internet Security ( http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ ) which including Antivirus & Firewall.  ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
If you really can't justify the expense, IMO there are 2 worthwhile free alternatives to paying for avast!, see http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1718241&postcount=14
System resource impact of either is about the same (i.e higher than avast!). COMODO is improving but PC Tools AV is currently much less "bother" to use.

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »
Nevermind...please disregard. :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:20:16 PM by ardvark »

trjam

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »
Thanks all for your kindly rapid reply and info. But I think in the environment of the charity unit and church like us, we would like to keep the money in our pocket if there is any free software could be used.

I am not against avast! here but just want to let anyone who want to have another choice for free, I would go for Comodo Internet Security ( http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ ) which including Antivirus & Firewall.  ;D

Keep in mind, that charity and security have totally different meanings. To me, it would seem that a church with important documents, records of donations and etc, would be more interested in protecting its computers and members from malware attacks that could do harm to both. So to me, it should not be about money but about being frugal but also responsive to the church members. Avast offers a great product at a great price for just this type of scenario. But if you wish to go with Comodo for the free factor, just be ready to answer to your members if something happens that could have been avoided.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:23:13 AM »

Keep in mind, that charity and security have totally different meanings. To me, it would seem that a church with important documents, records of donations and etc, would be more interested in protecting its computers and members from malware attacks that could do harm to both. So to me, it should not be about money but about being frugal but also responsive to the church members. Avast offers a great product at a great price for just this type of scenario. But if you wish to go with Comodo for the free factor, just be ready to answer to your members if something happens that could have been avoided.

Well put. If "love of money is the root of all kinds of evil", saving money is not, in itself, virtuous. ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:33:25 PM by Vladimyr »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:56 AM »
I work for 5 catholic churches and have avast on all of them.

We use the professional "netclient" editions and have paid for the licensing. The 50% off is a pretty good deal for what you get.  Even better is the additional percentage off when you renew (I believe it's another 15%).

Regardless if you're a church or not, you're still conducting business with your computers.  Scheduling masses, counting contributions, creating cemetery maps, etc.  All of that is part of what makes your church money, which is a business.

You can use the "free" edition, but it's still basically stealing.  A good Christian / Church wouldn't do that now, would they?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

trjam

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
thank you

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
Hi wcbenyip,

If you have a reformed spirit, we should respect and contribute for every common grace that gave either to christian or non-christian peoples have.
So please there is a sacrifice we should to pay if we want to earn a good quality, like Jesus who bear our sins at the cross.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya