Other > Viruses and worms

RESOLVED!!!-can´t install avast or scan the computer with any AV

<< < (5/13) > >>

jokera:
Hi:
 [Número de error: 0x8DDD0004

DavidR:
Try checking this Microsoft KB (knowledge base) item about that error number, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914224. Whilst this is an old KB entry it may still be relevant.

jokera:
Thanks David, I´ll try that.
 I just performed the first full scan with avast and it only lasted 12 minutes there were many archives that could not analize.
Is there a way to post those results?
One is
C\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log
it says file with no conection, not available now and there are 4 more that can not be analized either all start with c:\windows\softwaredistribuitiondownload............
it can´t find the path...

DavidR:
There are many legitimate reasons why files may not be scanned:
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you have any more can give some common examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further (no need to post them all) ?

However, the first file you mention is somewhat strange, if it can find it to be able to locate it for scanning I would have thought it could be able to find it to scan, but it doesn't seem to be anything sinister as it is a common file. The others without the full path and file name and why they can't be analysed/scanned it is hard to say.

jokera:
Hi! I tried the steps David R  posted on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914224.
I´m still unable toget windows update
I tried option #1 and it did not work,the same error came up when I tried to update Número de error: 0x8DDD0004
when trying option #2 after I click run and wrotte % windir % a warning comes up and says  it can not find the file % .
When I did the AV scan a few days ago there were 5 archives that could not de analize \scan
1 - C\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log
it says Error:file with no conection, not available at this moment (42006)
The others are:
c:\windows\softwaredistribuition\download\7564047df60fd0079d87159ef3eed933\update\setupapi.dll  (3)
c:\windows\softwaredistribuition\download\7564047df60fd0079d87159ef3eed933\update\spcompat.dll  (3)
c:\windows\softwaredistribuition\download\7564047df60fd0079d87159ef3eed933\update\update.exe   (3)
c:\windows\softwaredistribuition\download\7564047df60fd0079d87159ef3eed933\update\updspapi.dll   (3)
Avast says it can´t find the path...

The last windows update was on 01-28-2009.
I´ll be here for 2 more weeks, I´m hoping that with all your help I can´t  get my dad´s computer working OK!
Thanks for all your help  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version